Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Handlebar vibration dampening 20 Mar 2006 06:49 #32763

• gas
  • gas's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I use foam grips and bar end weights. This combo, along with a carb synch is effective in bar vibration until about 6000 rpm, then she gets buzzy again. I'm hunting for dead calm bars. It is interesting that Motorcyclist magazine is still bothered by Kawasaki handlebar vibration as recently as 2005 (Z1000 long term test January 2005). Anyone out there a reloader? Motorcyclist tried brass BB'S which reduced the vibes a bit, then used #8 buckshot, which totaly eliminated the tingles. I'm just wondering about the weight factor though. Is anyone out there able to test pack bars, and weigh them, with say 1. sand, then 2. with this lead shot? Interestingly enough my 650 and the new Z1000 have essentialy the same weight, 460 +/- pounds. However, the new 1000 has twice the horsepower, so the weight wouldn't be a factor for that bike, but my old horse..... I want tingle free bars but not if the weight gain is excessive. What is that ratio again? Lose 2.2 pounds (one kilogram)and it is equal to gaining one free horsepower?

Post edited by: gas, at: 2006/03/20 09:53

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Handlebar vibration dampening 20 Mar 2006 07:44 #32785

• wireman
  • Visitor
try a fishing weight on a piece of line start with it in the bottem of bars use fishing line to pull it up in bars till vibration goes away.this may take a few rides to figure out so dont cut line till you are happy with it on each side.:whistle: goodluck,happy wrenching!

Handlebar vibration dampening 20 Mar 2006 08:31 #32795

• N0NB
  • User
  • Blue handles better
  • Thank you received: 19
I bought a Bar Snake last week and it showed up Friday. The weather has not been good enough to install and test it yet. When I get that far, I'll write it up and let everyone know if it was worth $30 + shipping.

- Nate >>
Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

Handlebar vibration dampening 20 Mar 2006 15:25 #32886

• RomSpaceKnight
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
I used strips of rubber from inner tube on my 650 handle bars. That is under clamps. Makes a rubber mounted bar. Vibration dropped somewhat. Never had a problem with bars feeling vague or anything due to being rubber mounted. I also crammed styrofoam beads in, packed the bar solid with them.

Handlebar vibration dampening 20 Mar 2006 16:03 #32899

• gas
  • gas's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Interesting replies all. I came within a hair of using car inner tube strips, actually cut them, but didn't go for it. I am particularly interested in the bar snake. It would be nice to have a REAL and non commercial opinion of this product. Should have gotten one last winter when I was pouring cash into the bike, forgot all about it.

Handlebar vibration dampening 20 Mar 2006 21:04 #32976

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
Do the Bar Snakes fit in a bar that has internal wiring?
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

Handlebar vibration dampening 20 Mar 2006 21:18 #32978

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
  • Thank you received: 13
Here's some info for Ya,Kent...

"Bar Snake Model LV-4. Liquid Bar Snake for handle bars with kinks, bends, or wires and cables running through them. The Liquid Bar Snake can be poured into tubular handlebars and sets in four hours. The Liquid Bar Snake can be used in all tubular handlebars, but is especially intended for pro-taper handlebars, multi-curved handlebars, such as buckhorns or ape-hangers, or handlebars which have cables running through them. In short, wherever a standard solid Bar Snake cannot be easily used. Model LV-4 contains enough fluid to fill a 7/8-inch external handlebar up to 40 inches long."

Price: $47.95

And that was found here...

www.barsnake.com/
1977 KZ1000 A-1

Handlebar vibration dampening 20 Mar 2006 21:58 #32987

• 77KZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
wireman wrote:

try a fishing weight on a piece of line start with it in the bottem of bars use fishing line to pull it up in bars till vibration goes away.this may take a few rides to figure out so dont cut line till you are happy with it on each side.:whistle: goodluck,happy wrenching!

Can you elaborate on this plz? Im confused, you hang a weight in the bars?
Scott
07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

Handlebar vibration dampening 21 Mar 2006 09:00 #33064

• wireman
  • Visitor
find a fishing weight that will slide into your bars without getting stuck with a long piece of fishing line slide a weight down each side of bar leave line hanging out and fasten to barput your grips back on and go for ride to see if it feels better,if not move the weights a little farther out in the bars keep doing this till you are comfortable.then goop a little silicone in the end of bars to hold fishing line and weights in place and reinstall grips .this is the way we used to do it before they had fancy bar weights and stuff lke that.:whistle: goodluck,happy wrenching!

Post edited by: wireman, at: 2006/03/21 12:45

• Page: