Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Chain adjusters 17 Feb 2006 12:26 #24512

• pg4827
  • pg4827's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a 1/4" deference in adjustment as measured from end of adjuster bolts. Is this bad? Should both adjuster be equal distances?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Chain adjusters 17 Feb 2006 13:55 #24524

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 237
If both adjusters have the same length bolt, then they should be set the same. Of course if one is adjusted further than the other it will result in the wheel not pointing straight. I do my alignment by eye. First if you have a center stand put the motorcycle on it, next turn your handlebars straight ahead. You do this by sighting down the edges of the front tire towards the rear tire, when you have your wheel exactly straight you can look along one edge of the front tire and see a little of your rear tire (since it is slightly wider), and look along the opposite edge of the front tire and see an equal amount of the rear tire on that side. Now move to the rear tire and sight along its edge towards the front. Since the front tire is slightly less wide than the rear, you should not see the front tire. Now move your head slightly outward from the tire until you just glimpse the front tire and make a mental note how far your head had to travel. Next move over to the opposite side of the rear tire and do the same thing. Your head should have to move outward the same amount on both sides to tell you alignment is correct. If for example you had to move your head 6” out on the right side and only 1” on the left, this would tell you the rear tire is cocked to the right and you’d readjust the adjusters to point the wheel more left. After all done check chain tightness and if need be simply turn both adjuster an equal amount to keep the wheel aligned correctly as the chain play is set.
This may sound complicated, but with a little practice and understanding of the idea, it only takes about 45 seconds to check for alignment. This is the exact same idea as the string or straightedge method, just we use line of sight instead.
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

Chain adjusters 17 Feb 2006 15:04 #24545

• wireman
  • Visitor
right on;)

• Page: