Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Progressive springs 30 Jan 2006 20:08 #20648

• Fossil
  • Fossil's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
My understanding of progressive springs has been one spring with more than one rate achieved by winding the coils tighter at one end. Up til now I thought I was correct. I just bought some progressive springs off ebay and the coils are all equal. Am I missing something, or did I just buy another set of stock springs? Is it possible they are Progressive as in brand name rather than progressively wound and still an improvement over stock (ie firmer)?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Progressive springs 30 Jan 2006 20:34 #20650

• 79MKII
  • User
  • Love Them Kaws!
  • Thank you received: 43
Progressive is a brand name, but I thought they were all actually progressive?? Either way it should be an upgrade from stock. Hopefully someone else will shed some light on this subject.

I was assuming you meant rear shocks, but I just noticed that you have a mono-shock. Did you buy front springs? I just bought a set of "Progressive" brand front springs and they are actually wound progressively.

Post edited by: 79MKII, at: 2006/01/30 23:45
The Kaw List:
Current: 79 KZ1000 A3 MKII, 78 KZ1000 A2, 78 KZ1000 Z1-R, 78 KZ650 SR, 80 KE175
Former: 03 KLX400SR, 99 ZRX1000, 82 KZ750 LTD, 80 KZ1000 A4 MKII, 80 KZ1000 LTD, 78 KZ1000 A2, 74 H-2 750 Triple, 78 KL250

Progressive springs 30 Jan 2006 20:41 #20652

• Fossil
  • User
That's what I figured.

Progressive springs 30 Jan 2006 22:00 #20668

• baldy110
  • User
  • Thank you received: 510
The "Progressive" brand of springs are wound tighter on one end. If yours are not then they are stock. Sorry.
Which bike are they for?

Progressive springs 30 Jan 2006 22:15 #20670

• Fossil
  • User
Yep, looks like I just bought a set of stock springs. I've phoned and emailed him, no answer/reply. He's leaving the country end of the month.
The really pitiful thing about it is, there was a picture on ebay and I didn't pay attention just read the description, and I picked them up personally - handed him the money, he handed me the springs, thanks and back in the car and home. Didn't really pay any attention to them until later when it hit me they weren't progressively wound.
They're for an '83 GPz1100, came from an '84 GPz1100.

Progressive springs 31 Jan 2006 07:17 #20704

• patmann
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
I just pulled my front forks apart on my Z1 to replace a leaking seal and to put some Progessives in that I bought from Redline Cycle. Well... the ones inside the forks look just like the ones I bought from Redline !!:blush: :ohmy:

Both sets are longer than the stock ones I have. And both sets are wound tighter on one end.
I pulled a set of forks apart BEFORE I tore into my riders forks. And the MAJOR difference I found to my untrained eye was the length. The Progessives are about an inch or so longer. I'm at work so I can't be sure...
So do I have TWO sets of Progessives ?? Or two sets of longer springs???
If I could figure out pic posting ( I know it's easy all you have to do is six easy steps at two web sites
:dry: :S :pinch: :angry: ) nope not me.
1974 900 Z1 modified to look like a LTD , some engine mods. But I still have all the original parts.
1977 1000 project bike
1972 H1 project bike
If pro is opposite of con, then what is the opposite of progress?

Progressive springs 31 Jan 2006 08:04 #20710

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
Doesn't you bike already have air forks? The air is a nonlinear spring in parallel with the linear spring. The combination is 'progressive'. The overall spring constant is a function of how much the forks are compressed.

-Duck

Progressive springs 31 Jan 2006 08:19 #20713

• Fossil
  • User
Yes, the air fork is progressive, but I was modifying the forks as recommended (where, can't remember just now) - replace the stock springs with progressive springs, don't use any air, 15w oil and disable but not remove the antidive units.
By the way, the seller has gotten back to me and offered to take them back if there is a mistake.

Progressive springs 31 Jan 2006 08:46 #20717

• Fossil
  • User
This is what I was using as a guide for improving the suspension/handling

gpzrider.lagemann.org/technical/FAQ2000....Chassis%20and%20Body

• Page: