Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

ZX9 fork swap 21 Jan 2006 23:51 #19191

• racer54
  • racer54's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 114
New here...sorta. I have a complete 1989-90 ZX9 front fork assembly that I want to install on my KZ. I have been looking around and even searched but haven't found what I need to know. Who of you guys have made this swap? What do I need to do to make it work? What bearings, etc. and where do I get the parts. Any chance any of you took pictures as you were doing the swap? I've never attempted this before and am starting from scratch and, quite frankly, have no idea where to start or do, so any help, pictures, info you can help me with would be greatly appreciated. If you can supply any help, maybe this can be a step by step on how to make this swap but also a guideline for others on other swaps.
1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

ZX9 fork swap 22 Jan 2006 08:06 #19233

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
As a starting point you can look in the Filebase for the steering stem bearing chart that lists the steering bearings for most models.
Steering bearings list to find the bearings for your bike and the Zx9.
Then go to Pro-Flo
and get the dimensions and determine the OD and ID of the bearings you will need.

Then go to All Balls and see if they have the bearings you need.

You also have to compare steering stem length to see if they are the same, or close enough to work anyway.

Or you could use your steering stem in the Zx9 forks, or get a new steering stem made.

Post edited by: steell, at: 2006/01/22 11:08
KD9JUR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: