Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

rake frame questions 18 Jan 2006 20:53 #18594

• agawam
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
do I have this right ? I have a 78 650sr I have shortened the forks about 2in and installed longer rear shocks left the stock swingarm reducing the angle of the rake and making the bike lenth 78in or about 6in shorter front to rear, will this bike handle better than a stock SR,I have also lowered the center of gravity by custom seat(2.5in cafe style) and superbike bars running 16x130 rear tire and 19x110 front

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

rake frame questions 18 Jan 2006 20:57 #18595

• Blowntrc5
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
agawam wrote:

do I have this right ? I have a 78 650sr I have shortened the forks about 2in and installed longer rear shocks left the stock swingarm reducing the angle of the rake and making the bike lenth 78in or about 6in shorter front to rear, will this bike handle better than a stock SR,I have also lowered the center of gravity by custom seat(2.5in cafe style) and superbike bars running 16x130 rear tire and 19x110 front

Make sure you don't get into neg. trail, as it won't be pritty!!

Doug

rake frame questions 18 Jan 2006 21:09 #18596

• wireman
  • Visitor
dont take too much rake out of the frame or you will have no high speed stability!:S

rake frame questions 18 Jan 2006 21:19 #18597

• agawam
  • User
do you think I would be better off with the shorter rear shocks, with the shorter shocks I have only 3.5in clearance on the header without me on the bike, but I only weigh in at 145,150 after lunch

rake frame questions 18 Jan 2006 21:26 #18598

• wireman
  • Visitor
900/1000 frame strap frame down to solid surface make sure its level 3 tubes under tank get cut gusset under steering head gets sliced downtubes in gusset area get heated as triple tree is pulled back to prevent kinking/cracking make sure steering head is brought back straight and level check from several points weld frame tubes reweld gusset under steering head.that is very basic explanation it is a lot more complicated than just cutting and eyeballing things especially if you want it to go down the road or track safely and straight!if you do not trust your fabrication or welding skills P-LEEEEEEEEASE do not attempt this yourself professional shops do not charge that much,allthough some of the professional jobs ive seen are downright shitty looking!so allways check out their work before you have any serious fabrication done!goodluck,happy wrenching!

rake frame questions 19 Jan 2006 16:30 #18748

• kswilliams333
  • kswilliams333's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
what did you mean by:

for a street bike, i wouldn't bother. i would lower the front end with the internal collars, and then drop the tubes in the trees an inch or so.

Do tell...

rake frame questions 19 Jan 2006 16:38 #18753

• kswilliams333
  • User
I am trying to resolve the part circled in red. I wanted to put on a sidewinder (which I know is a turning issue itself, but I like the look and the underground clearance). I thought raking a little was the simple answer, maybe I should just skip it...
I am not happy with the space between my pipe and front fender, which I understand has to stay on.

I know with a v&h pro pipe or pco you have to rake the frame a little.

K Williams
Austin, Texas

Post edited by: kswilliams333, at: 2006/01/19 19:40
Attachments:

rake frame questions 19 Jan 2006 17:43 #18768

• DanOz7Five0
  • User
I just thought of this. If you are just trying to keep it simple and move that front fender out a bit maybe you want to just look for an LTD front fender, LTD forks have the axle mounted ahead of the forks also which I think gives a little stretched look the the front also. You might notice the difference on my
bike in the before and after pics

rake frame questions 19 Jan 2006 18:33 #18775

• wireman
  • Visitor
ltd forks 81 or newer might have axle in front of forklegs but the older 80 and older ltd have the same forks as kz .lock your front brake and get someone to check your clearance side to side with your forks compressed to see how much clearance you actually have when you are braking hard dont want wheel shoved into header while your trying to slowdown and turn!:S how about going to 18"front wheel and ltd fender lowered down on forklegs?goodluck,happy wrenching!B)

rake frame questions 19 Jan 2006 20:59 #18818

• solomrus
  • User
man, i see your problem now...

you have the fork tubes dropped quite a bit.

there is, what, 2-2.5" above the top triples?

that is where the clearance issue comes from.

--r
198o kz1ooo Bravo Four

rake frame questions 19 Jan 2006 22:02 #18826

• wireman
  • Visitor
yeah i was amazed by that too,ive never seen them up that high before either!might want to try some slugs in forks to limit suspension travel!goodluck,happy wrenching!

rake frame questions 20 Jan 2006 08:30 #18878

• kswilliams333
  • User
so I need to adjust my front forks to the correct specs. This is the way it was when I got it. Would that make a difference in the clearance?

Is this the right fender to switch to...??

Post edited by: kswilliams333, at: 2006/01/20 11:37

Post edited by: kswilliams333, at: 2006/01/20 11:39
Attachments: