Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

chain lube 14 Jan 2006 14:02 #17884

• hydrolazer
  • hydrolazer's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
i have a stock 79 kaw 1000 ltd with 5400 miles on it.i was wondering what kind of chain lube you guys use.is it possible the stock chain is the o-ring one and doesnt require chain lube?,,,tia
\'79 kaw 1000 ltd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

chain lube 14 Jan 2006 14:03 #17886

• arobsum
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10
even o-ring chains need some sort of lube. do not run it dry...i use pj's spray on..really sticky and will work great...

chain lube 17 Jan 2006 13:05 #18285

• RomSpaceKnight
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
ALL chains need lube. Your choice of brand. Just keep it lubed AND clean. I lube weekly, daily if it's raining. I use Castrol because that's what Crappy Tire carries.

chain lube 17 Jan 2006 14:30 #18296

• ltdrider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 17
I like to keep my chain well-lubed, but I was getting tired of cleaning up the grease that slings off.
I got some advice on this from my post "Dirty Chain Blues".
What's working for me, is to drive the bike for at least 5 minutes. That warms the chain up, and makes the grease soft. Park it, and clean the chain with WD-40 on a rag. That gets most of the gunk off.
Then use Maxima Chain Wax to re-lube the chain. Let the bike sit overnite, and the lube will set up, and it doesn't sling off.
If you have an O-Ring chain, you still need to lube it, but you need to be careful how you clean it. Some solvents will attack the rubber o-rings.
'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

chain lube 17 Jan 2006 16:25 #18312

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 236
Another idea for us "clean-aholics" is to simply lightly smear some lithium grease over a span of about 12 rollers on the chain. Then when you ride next, the sprockets evenly distribute the lube over the entire length of the chain. Then when you clean the mess you only have a light speckling of easy to wipe off grease. Of course this does nothing for the rest of the chain, but at least lubes the rollers as they contact the sprockets where the wear really happens with a non lubed chain. On the bikes I care about I do this about every other time to keep the filth down.
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• Page: