Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

dual discs is it worth it?? 15 Jan 2006 08:10 #17988

• wireman
  • Visitor
good looking Z1 bob love them wire wheels ! :woohoo: im thinking about 17s for my next project ,lot better tire selection but im just wondering i somebody makes a short front fender that will match the radius of a 17 better but still have the old Z1 look to it!are those tubeless ?ive seen pictures of tubeless wire wheels before that were sealed around spoke nipples but dont have a source for them ,any ideas?good luck,happy wrenching!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

dual discs is it worth it?? 15 Jan 2006 09:30 #17993

• BohicaBob
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 34
Wireman: Nope, those are AVON radial tires on SS-spoked Excel aluminum alloy rims with radial tubes.

Bought a Beasley fiberglass front fender that Mr. Beasley and I thought would work with my 110 mm X 17" front tire. It did not. Got a chrome front fender from Klasmo (though you can get it in the US I later found out). It was a serious chore fitting this front fender but it sure looks good I thought.

Wheel Works will seal wire wheel rims. I called Wheel Works about this, but once you've had this done, you CANNOT retighten the spoke nipples again, so I decided just to use radial tire tubes.
[img] www.wheel-works.com/ [img]

There are a number of things to consider with 17" wheels on the Z1s and KZs. I went with 17" wheels because of the wider radial tire choices.

dual discs is it worth it?? 15 Jan 2006 10:30 #18001

• wireman
  • Visitor
i never knew they made tubes for radials,i wonder if having wire wheels sealed would keep the spoke nipples from working loose?

dual discs is it worth it?? 15 Jan 2006 12:47 #18018

• BohicaBob
  • Sustaining Member
I did not get that impression when I talked with Wheel Works, that is, that the spokes/nipples would never need to be re-tightened after sealing. Thus, I used the radial tire tubes.

dual discs is it worth it?? 15 Jan 2006 16:54 #18056

• The Fish
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
I put dual disc on my KZ 900.I dont think I really needed to. It stops real nice, and I like the symetrical look of the front end with the dual set up.
I put a set of newer sport bike disc and calipers on my XS 650 just for fun.
Fish
Attachments:

dual discs is it worth it?? 16 Jan 2006 18:48 #18194

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
  • Thank you received: 1278
Hey Fixer,
I added a dual setup to mine just for the looks, the better braking is probably offset by the heavier unsprung weight. I still like it, seems more visually balanced. those old disks are heavy.
Check it out.

KZCSI

Post edited by: kzcsi, at: 2006/01/16 21:52
www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

dual discs is it worth it?? 16 Jan 2006 20:45 #18208

• Fossil
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
I'm considering dumping my second disc and going with a larger single ventilated disc and 4 piston caliper to increase stopping power and shed some unsprung weight.

dual discs is it worth it?? 17 Jan 2006 05:58 #18227

• BohicaBob
  • Sustaining Member
What might be cool is to use two full floater EBC rotors and aftermarket calipers, which I believe are both lighter than the OEM rotors (even the 4.5 mm OEM thick ones) and the OEM single-action piston calipers found on the Z1s and KZs. Bet even AP or Brembo double-action single calipers like the ones used in the early 70s Superbikes would work well on the street.

dual discs is it worth it?? 17 Jan 2006 06:26 #18234

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
KZCSI - I like the look of the later dual disks where the calipers are on the other side. I have the front end off a 79 LTD on my second KZ900 for that reason plus the fact that the front end was free... The dual disks plus the rear disk do stop better than a single front disk and rear drum. Not all that much but some. I have single disk / rear drum on one of my KZs and the triple disk set up on the other.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

dual discs is it worth it?? 17 Jan 2006 09:15 #18249

• fixer5000
  • fixer5000's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
KZCSI wrote:

Hey Fixer,
I added a dual setup to mine just for the looks, the better braking is probably offset by the heavier unsprung weight. I still like it, seems more visually balanced. those old disks are heavy.
Check it out.

KZCSI<br><br>Post edited by: kzcsi, at: 2006/01/16 21:52

very nice looking ride you got there...im going to do it for visual and just to try it reasons. ive got 5 calipers to play with and an assortment of hoses and clips and such anyway so here i go again...need something to do while theres no snow for snowmobiling anyway....steve
1978 kz650b pretty much stock
\\\\\\\" get there fast but arrive alive \\\\\\\"
massachusetts

• Page: