Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

ZX 12 swingarm on a KZ 1000 LTD 10 Jan 2006 22:53 #17203

• smoothnf
  • smoothnf's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I want to know will a 03 zx 12 swingarm will fit on a 79 kz 1000 ltd. Cause i have a zx 12 swingarm laying around the house. If so how much mofication involved. Do i need to put zx 12 forks on it also. Also i will post some pic...Of my winter project...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

ZX 12 swingarm on a KZ 1000 LTD 11 Jan 2006 05:39 #17221

• galaxian
  • User
Its impossible to tell "How much modification" somthing needs when it is not designed to fit the application. But having said that it may just involve narrowing the swingarm at the pivot axle. Measure yours and then measure the zx12 swingarm, take the difference and divide by 2. That measurement is how much material needs to be removed from each side to fit your frame. Now dont forget that the axle diameter is probably larger on the zx12 than on your bike. So you will need to machine a spacer the the propper dimensions to fit the zx12 bearings and the inner diameter to fit your kz swingarm axle. You will likely also need the zx wheel and brake as well as the axle and all of the spacers that go along with it. Have you thought about what you are going to do regarding suspension?? Twin shock it by welding tabs to the swingarm or monoshock by welding tabs to the frame. Fitting the swingarm is the easy part is everthing else that is complex. Not impossible but take some planning. If you take measurements please post them so that perhaps we can a some sort of database of swingarms and measuremnets for those who want to do conversions in the future.
1977 KZ1000A1, 1979 KZ650 C3

ZX 12 swingarm on a KZ 1000 LTD 12 Jan 2006 14:36 #17533

• dnyce
  • User
you dont need to put the zx forks on it, but it would look and handle a whole lot better if you did, and if you got those lying around too, id say go for it. And while you're at it, bore it out to 1200cc's and make some KZ-12r badges. that'd be different

• Page: