Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Dropping the front end. 10 Jan 2006 13:52 #17106

• nfswift
  • nfswift's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
So I've been looking at my CSR 650 sitting dormant in the shop and I realize its frame looks like it is in a very tilted back stance(possibly something to do with the CSR/LTD specific "chopper styling" for the American KZs) and I'm wondering what I could do to change that.

My friends father (who is a fairly competent mechanic/electrician/welder/rider) said I could loosen the triple clamps and drop them down about 1" which is about how much clearance there is between the top of the forks and the speedo/tach housing.

He remarked that it might make it handle a little better as well and I'm wondering if this is true. Obviously I should try it first and keep it if it feels better but is lowering the bike in this way a bad idea for some reason I don't know of? I'm sure alot of you out there have done similar modifications... raking/stretching etc.

Any advice or pointers for a rookie?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dropping the front end. 10 Jan 2006 14:16 #17112

• donthekawguy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
Go to schnitzracing.com. They have lowering kits for the front forks. All they are is aluminum tubes cut to length. You will have to take your forks apart to put them in. I did it and I like it a lot better because I don't like the looks of the forks moved up in the clamps.
Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

Dropping the front end. 10 Jan 2006 15:06 #17122

• RomSpaceKnight
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Dropping front end in triple clamps is a cheap option. Is done regularily for drag racing. It might make handling worse. Front end could get too responsive (read twitchy). Careful.

Dropping the front end. 10 Jan 2006 15:16 #17125

• nfswift
  • User
Ah, yea I figured they would have some kind of non-stock tubes to lower the front end with but I'm looking for a cheap way that doesn't involve changing it from stock so...

And I will keep that in mind Rom it could make it a bit tamer to handle if I ever just tear away off the line but I'll have to experiment with the twitchiness factor to get the best of both worlds (responsive and stable).

Dropping the front end. 11 Jan 2006 05:43 #17222

• galaxian
  • User
My forks have been portruding through the triples by about an 1" for years. I think it handles better than stock, but i am runnig a 2" over swingarm as well. The kz is a pretty slow turning bike to begin with so sliding the forks up does improve its turning characteristics. I would try this 1/4" at a time if you have never done this and see how it feels to you.
1977 KZ1000A1, 1979 KZ650 C3

Dropping the front end. 11 Jan 2006 06:45 #17227

• wireman
  • Visitor
if you lower the rear of the bike to matchyou shouldnt have any problems sliding the forks up in the trees,it lowers the center of gravity and makes them a lot more stable at hi speeds!the shnitz racing parts are called slugs they are used on dragbikes where you dont need a lot of suspension travel ive never tried them on a streetbike though!goodluck,happy wrenching!

Dropping the front end. 15 Jan 2006 19:33 #18083

• nfswift
  • User
Ah, thanks for the advice guys, once I have the old beast back on the road I'll start experiments with the forks in little increments to see how things go.

Cheers.

Dropping the front end. 15 Jan 2006 23:22 #18100

• donthekawguy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
The parts are only around $15 with shipping. I put new seals, fluid and dust boots on cuz it needed them.
Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

Dropping the front end. 16 Jan 2006 05:00 #18107

• wireman
  • Visitor
hows the ride ,is it pretty stiff?

Dropping the front end. 16 Jan 2006 08:58 #18128

• arobsum
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10
i have lowering blocks on my kz1000 and i lowered the front end by sliding the tubes thru the clamps more. handles fine.

• Page: