Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Rebuilding brakes 31 Dec 2005 14:11 #15439

• storysunfolding
  • storysunfolding's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Warning: Newb- tried to search for this and didn't find anything but... newbs always say that when it's obvious.

I recently came into an 81 650 CSR that I'm going to start working on.

It's believed that the seal in the brake caliper is compromised, so my first thoughts are to order a rebuild kit, a steal brake line and then if I need it a new master cylinder. I'll be degunking the old one first then trying it with new brake fluid.

I really don't know too much about the line of bikes so the reason I'm bringing this up is to see if there are any significant caliper upgrades out there that I should consider before rebuilding the stock one.

Any thoughts, or tips?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rebuilding brakes 01 Jan 2006 20:04 #15563

• wireman
  • Visitor
i allways reccomend upgrading the system to dot5 fluid after you clean everything up real good and run some good brake pads,braided steel brakelines will help.goodluck,happywrenching!

Rebuilding brakes 03 Jan 2006 17:34 #15869

• arobsum
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10
does upgrading to dot5 mean a seal change? will the old rubber seal handle dot5? i believe it is silicone based?

Rebuilding brakes 03 Jan 2006 19:12 #15879

• wireman
  • Visitor
as long as the seals are good you shouldnt have any problems,clean out any trash in the master cylinder and refill and bleed brakes as normal!goodluck,happy wrenching!

Rebuilding brakes 03 Jan 2006 20:01 #15886

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
Before you start down the slippery slope of using DOT-5, do some serious independent Internet research. For example, see
www.xs11.com/tips/maintenance/maint1.shtml

DOT-5 may have a place in pure racing applications where boiling point is a factor and brake fluid is changed VERY often to prevent water accumulation, but it is not a good street product. Others may disagree, but do good research before switching becasue switchng back to DOT3 or 4 is not easy to do once DOT-5 has been put in your brake system. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Rebuilding brakes 04 Jan 2006 05:59 #15912

• wireman
  • Visitor
ill go with dot5 twenty plus years of personal experience and have had no problems,even in dumptrucks pulling equiptment!goodluck,happy wrenching!

Rebuilding brakes 05 Jan 2006 14:06 #16157

• RomSpaceKnight
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
DOT 5, master cylinder seal kit, caliper seal kit, stainless steel lines and soft compound pads, UB Jammin Maan, No worries at all.

• Page: