Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Streetfighter Project 30 Dec 2005 08:27 #15208

• Jordanb
  • Jordanb's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey, I'm A new member here as I recently purchased a 77 KZ1000 LTD. My plan when buying it was to turn it into a streetfighter. I have already bought a set of inverted forks from a 96 GSXR 750, and I have VFR 800 Single sided swingarm being shipped to me.

Has anyone here tried fitting a VFR swingarm to their KZ? I've seen pictures of it before so I know its possible. From the measurements I was sent it appears it is far too wide at the pivot.

I think I have a pretty good idea as to how I will fit the new forks. But the swingarm has me worried.Any advice would be apreciated.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Streetfighter Project 30 Dec 2005 10:19 #15230

• twowheeledterror
  • Visitor
The search feature is going to be your best friend.

I dunno if I'd tackle a project like this with an LTD to start, but I think it will be interesting.

The swingarm can be fit one of a few ways. Cut the frame, shave the swingarm, or make new mounting plates for it and weld them on. No matter what, you're definitely not going to get it to bolt right on though. :(

How do you plan to attack the fork issue?

Streetfighter Project 30 Dec 2005 10:20 #15231

• twowheeledterror
  • Visitor
Also, you are aware of how much stuff you need aside from just the swingarm and how expensive it is correct? I had an opportunity to get a swing for $50.00 and turned it down... cause I don't want to spend the other $600.00 acquiring parts, new and used, to put that whole assembly together.

Just making sure. :thumbup:

Streetfighter Project 30 Dec 2005 10:41 #15239

• RomSpaceKnight
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Hope you got or will get wheels to match fork and swingarm. Hate to say it but will look like s!@t with a 16" LTD back wheel. A spindly 19" front wheel and GSXR forks just as bad. A single sided swingarm, COOL. Big project to get to fit though. I like GSXR swingarms with twin shock mounts added myself. Much easier and cheaper. Also 3" over on length. Watch your geometry on frontend with new front end.

Streetfighter Project 30 Dec 2005 10:55 #15244

• twowheeledterror
  • Visitor
RomSpaceKnight wrote:

Hope you got or will get wheels to match fork and swingarm. Hate to say it but will look like s!@t with a 16" LTD back wheel. A spindly 19" front wheel and GSXR forks just as bad. A single sided swingarm, COOL. Big project to get to fit though. I like GSXR swingarms with twin shock mounts added myself. Much easier and cheaper. Also 3" over on length. Watch your geometry on frontend with new front end.

He's swappping a GSXR forkset on, so I'd assume he has, or will have, a gixxer front wheel. I don't think I've ever seen a inverted front with a stock wheel. lol

As for the swing, it's technically no different than getting most other modern swingarms to fit. The problem is putting together the wheel/drive assembly. It's VERY costly.

Adding a modern swingarm and then welding (which actually has effects on the integrity of the arm itself if not done just right metalurgically speaking) shock mounts to mount dual shocks on it is really kind of backwards in my opinion. But like I said, that's just my opinion. I think if you are going to put the single shock swing on there, you might as well go single shock. It drastically cleans up the lines of the bike.

Your geometry will definitely change, so take it easy the first few weeks. The forks are MUCH shorter, and your steering will be MUCH QUICKER!

Streetfighter Project 30 Dec 2005 14:36 #15286

• kawtoy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
Anything can be done with enough time, knowledge and money. If it all works I can promise you will be happy with the results. I did a FZR front and rear end conversion on mine. 17in wheels and shorter forks make a huge difference for the better in my opinion. Good luck.

Post edited by: kawtoy, at: 2005/12/30 17:39
Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.
Attachments:

Streetfighter Project 30 Dec 2005 17:26 #15305

• romzrx
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Kawtoy what kind of ground clearence do you have with the new fork?Thanks.
76 KZ900
79 KZ1300
82 KZ1000J
C10
C14
ZRX1200

Streetfighter Project 30 Dec 2005 20:32 #15333

• kawtoy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
I have a Kerker 4-1 exhaust that runs underneath the bike. At it's lowest point the pipes are about 2in off the ground. Seems really low but I have never had a problem. I can go over speed bumps just fine. I figure if I hit something that is over 2in high when I am riding then the pipes are the last thing I need to worry about.
Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

Streetfighter Project 31 Dec 2005 06:48 #15378

• Jordanb
  • Jordanb's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
The forks seems pretty easy to fit. I took the time to read about how other people have made this kind of conversion. The stock GSXR stem is quite close to fitting so I may have to press a new bearring guide into the KZ neck and then put in new bearings or possibly get a spacer machined and fit the old KZ stem to the GSXR tripples.

Right now i think the swingarm is going to be the big issue and I may have to look for a different one as twowheeledterror sort of suggested. The swingarm is 11 1/4in. wide at the pivot, and the KZ frame has only 9in. of room between the swingarm mounts so obviously I could not remove enough material from either surface without making it unsafe. Then there is the issue of having the front and rear sprockes and chain line up without any obstruction.

Thank you all for the advice, I'm going to have to keep thinking about this one.

• Page: