Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Frame Question 02 Dec 2005 09:36 #11445

• GI
  • GI's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Is the entire frame on a 98 KZ1000P hollow?

Chris
1979 KZ1000 Shaft Drive w/Vetter Luggage
1972 Yamaha JT60
1983 Yamaha DT100
1996 KZ1000P...gone, but not forgotten. ;(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Frame Question 02 Dec 2005 10:47 #11450

• hwms
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
An odd question.
The tubing is hollow. Some of the attachment points are solid, IE: rear axle, front axle, shock mounts, engine mounts, bar mounts, triple tree, etc.

Frame Question 02 Dec 2005 11:19 #11455

• Mcdroid
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
  • Thank you received: 305
I was afraid to answer the question...:blink:
Michael
Alvin, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

Frame Question 02 Dec 2005 18:14 #11495

• GI
  • User
Mcdroid wrote:

I was afraid to answer the question...:blink:

You don't have any reason to be scared. If anyone is going to be scared, it'll probably be me. If I mess up, it will mean a lot of heartache.

I've thought about re-re-wiring the Kaw for a while and a small technical error has given me that opportunity.

My plan is to run the wires though the frame. I don't think that drilling the holes will cause any structural issues. The backbone of the frame seems way over engineered and I don’t believe the other "planned" drill points are critical.

I’ve practiced my soldering technique so I can do this right (The last time I messed with this, I used butt connecters and male/female connecters). And I think running the wires through the frame will render a clean look. We’ll see.

Chris
Yeah, that's my KZ...

kzrider.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=25022

1998 KZ1000P...updates coming soon
1972 Yamaha JT60
1983 Yamaha DT100

Frame Question 03 Dec 2005 01:12 #11541

• Garn
  • User
  • Thank you received: 13
Chris, I would be scared too! Kawasaki, with all their expertise, used to have a small slot on the handle-bars, for running the hand control cables through to the harness above the motor (KZ1000A1). This was discontinued and the only reason I can think of, is that, it serverely weakened the bars.

A small holes (cable size)in the frame does cause stress concentration, which weaken the frame. Further, these points are also prone to corrosion.

RegardZ

Post edited by: Garn, at: 2005/12/03 04:26
1 x 73 Z1 (Jaffa), 74 Z1A, 76 Z900-A4
1 x 73 Yamaha TX500 & 98 fzx250 Zeal
Sydney Australia

Frame Question 03 Dec 2005 05:01 #11542

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
I have a suggestion.

If you want to do something totally 'different' why not run everything by 'computer'. You might run a single wire to the rear and another to the bars. It's possible to use the same wire for power and signaling. Use microprocessors. Maybe something from the PIC series. They run basic and are easy to program. They come in all the flavors you need to make the job easy.
www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcSer...S_GET_PAGE&nodeId=64

If you really want to run through the frame, a single wire will require a smaller hole and be much easier to fish. You might end up with one small box for handle bar controls located on the bars or in the headlamp bucket and a second inside the stop/brake light housing.

Less complicated but also clean would be a cable that carries one heavy wire for power and some very small ones for control signals. With this you might eliminate most of the bulk of the wiring. Instead use some MOSFET's as switches at each device requiring power. Check with belden, anixter, times, ...

-Duck

Frame Question 05 Dec 2005 06:34 #11852

• GI
  • User
Duck wrote:

I have a suggestion.

If you want to do something totally 'different' why not run everything by 'computer'. -Duck

Your suggestion has peaked my interest, but I think that path may be a bit over my head. Unless something is written somewhere, step-by-step, I don’t think that’s going to happen. Thanks.

Chris
1972 Yamaha JT60
1983 Yamaha DT100

Frame Question 06 Dec 2005 00:07 #11964

• guitargeek
  • User
  • Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self absorbed.
  • Thank you received: 50
I'd really recommend NOT drilling holes in your frame.

Think about it: There are reasons why nobody does this.
1980 KZ750-H1 (slightly altered)
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"

Frame Question 06 Dec 2005 12:00 #12032

• Fossil
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
People have been running wiring through frames for years, if it was such a problem it wouldn't still be done 30 years later. Check some of the chopper sites/magazines etc, or hit the library for custom motorcycle books to see how it's done. Some of the Biker Buildoff shows show wiring being run through the frame, particularly the ones with Exile Cycles.
Drill all holes as small as possible and paint each
hole to prevent rust. If there is room, use a grommet to prevent shorts, if not be sure the wiring is sleeved to protect it.
If I find any "factory holes" in my frame tubes, I give them a squirt of Rust Check oil spray to prevent rust from condensation inside the frame (don't do this if you intend to repaint your frame anytime soon!). Many of the rust preventave oil sprays are safe to use with wiring and rubber parts, check the label.

Frame Question 10 Dec 2005 14:31 #12535

• dog pound
  • User
Good luck chris with your build / mods. As far as drilling holes in your frame. If you drill in many different location then it would play a factor, however if you drill where the frame is already over engineered you will have no problems. I am currently transformong my 1977 KZ 1000 A into a ridged with a girder front end. If you are worried then replace the tubing with DOM and drill as required. Depending on your state you may not have to run indicators / other wires. Just some general info. Cheers Dan

I have a wire diagram for a KZ 1000 soif you want it just ask.

Frame Question 12 Dec 2005 19:07 #12848

• GI
  • User
Thanks for all the suggestions. I haven't started yet, I figure if I keep staring at it, it'll wire itself...so far that's unsucesful. I keep looking at it trying to figure the best course of action and waiting till I have more than an hour at a time to sit down and dig in. I'll let ya'll know when I get some prgress.

Chris
1972 Yamaha JT60
1983 Yamaha DT100

Frame Question 12 Dec 2005 21:53 #12888

• baldy110
  • User
  • Thank you received: 510
All these old KZ's have hollow frames if not they would weigh quite a bit more.

• Page: