Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

New shocks on my Z1. Couple of questions... 28 Nov 2005 22:18 #10822

• dutchz
  • dutchz's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
After buggin everyone about what kind of shocks to get (see kzrider.com/component/option,com_joomlab...atid,5/id,6386/#6386 ) I decided to shell out some dough and buy some ZRX shocks on ebay. I got a pretty good deal on a set off a 99 ZRX1100 and sure enough they bolt right on...
Well, almost. Got some questions for y,all. Here's what I'm looking at:

Shock to chain clearance is about 1/8 of an inch (see pic) so I had to remove the chainguard. Z1R rider wrote that he used some spacers to move the shock over some, but I don't think I can even get a spacer in the mount next to the bottom of the shock. Any ideas here? I think it's not unsafe, there's not a scratch on the shocks after a week of riding daily.

So I am running without a chainguard right now (and no, that is not an o-ring chain so it's a bit messy). I was going to get a new, o-ring chain anyway, do these throw any oil around? If they do I might need a chainguard of sorts after all. Chop my old one or fab something up...mmm.

Last question's on adjustment... Shock preload is obvious, but there's two dials (one on top, one on bottom) for rebound(?) adjustment. Which one does what?

The skinny on handling: unbelieveable, what a difference. Not only does the bike track better at high speeds and smooth out bumps in corners but there's no more kidney failure inducing bouncing around on the freeway.
Also, since the shocks a bit longer it kicked up the butt AND I dropped my forks 3/4 of an inch, the old Z will actually go around corners now... SWEET!!!!!

Sorry about the crappy pic, the camera won't focus in the dark...
1974 Kawasaki Z1
Stock front hub and rear axle.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New shocks on my Z1. Couple of questions... 28 Nov 2005 22:20 #10823

• dutchz
  • User
Too big 1st try
1974 Kawasaki Z1

New shocks on my Z1. Couple of questions... 29 Nov 2005 01:03 #10841

• wireguy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
take your chaingaurd and notch it just enough to clear your shock,trim a little at a time and keep checking so it looks nice.ive done this on a couple bikes and never had a problem!happy wrenching

Post edited by: wireguy, at: 2005/11/29 04:04

. 29 Nov 2005 08:02 #10885

• JMKZHI
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 48
del

Last edit: by JMKZHI.

New shocks on my Z1. Couple of questions... 29 Nov 2005 13:01 #10923

• dutchz
  • User
Wireguy, yeah I could do that, basically I'd just notch a hole in the chainguard where the shock is mounted. It's not like they're barely touching the shock's totally in the way. I'll see what I can come up with.
JMK, I don't think I can spread the mounts enough to get a spacer in there at all. If you look at the picture you can kinda tell how tight (or perfect) the fit is. I think I'll leave the spacing alone for now, it doesn't seem to be a problem.

Anyone know what the top and bottom adjustment dials (not the preload collar) are for?
1974 Kawasaki Z1

New shocks on my Z1. Couple of questions... 29 Nov 2005 15:15 #10947

• bob_z1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I scanned the page from the ZRX1100 shop manual that gives the detail of shock adjustment but it's a big file...
maybe you can veiw here....
photobucket.com/albums/a234/bob_z1/?acti...rent=ZRXshockAdj.jpg
if not I can e-mail an invite from photobucket or just e-mail the file to you.

New shocks on my Z1. Couple of questions... 29 Nov 2005 16:13 #10962

• dutchz
  • User
That's just what I needed Bob! It gives me a starting point with the settings. The Z1 and ZRX1100 are about the same weight I believe, 490 pounds for the ZRX, about the same for my bike (over 500 stock) with all the stuff I've taken off. I weigh in at 185 or so.
I'm going to mess around with it a bit to find the sweetspot...
Thanks for taking the time to scan and upload that pic for me!
1974 Kawasaki Z1

New shocks on my Z1. Couple of questions... 29 Nov 2005 23:20 #11017

• DanVVArider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
"Maybe spread the lower shock mount a little to accept a spacer. Those who get the Sportster shocks have a somewhat similar problem: the Sportys are too wide for the bottom mount, so it's either grind 'em or spread it. Yours truly hasn't made up his mind yet."

Let us know what you do. I put Sporties on one KZ650, a 1979, I think, and it went well, no problems. I put another set on a 1978 (again, I'm guessing) and had like nothing for clearance. I can't recall the details but I do know I have a pair of Hugger takeoffs like brand-new that I want to put on yet another KZ650, and this one is a 1979 B, for sure.

Anybody else have any input, feel free...
"CHOP 'TIL YA DROP!"

New shocks on my Z1. Couple of questions... 30 Nov 2005 02:37 #11024

• KitNYC
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Sorry, no input on shock adjustment, but I thought I'd chime in on the chainguard thing. Ever since my chain snapped, I've been a big fan of chainguards. Also, a well-lubed chain is likely to throw off some oil. Any chain that doesn't throw off a little bit of oil probably needs to be oiled. :P I bought a Loobman chain oiler for the Trumpet & filled the reservoir with 80W90 gear oil. It stays on better than the other lubes I've used.

HTH,
-Kit

• Page: