Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Brakes question help 28 Nov 2005 20:40 #10799

• 650beater
  • 650beater's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
My bike is a 78 kz650b2 with tripple disk brake conversion. I bled both. The front brakes work well, but dont lock up the wheel. Is this normal? The rear brake feels very hard and it's impossible to push the lever all the way down. After i bled it, and cleaned out the rear master cylinder(lots of gunk in it), the lever worked alot smoother and lighter, but after sitting a while, it's back to being stiff. Does this mean i need a rebuild? I've been looking online and cant find any rear master cylinder rebuild kits.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Brakes question help 28 Nov 2005 20:57 #10809

• reborn650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
I have a 77 KZ 650 Custom the same as yours with triple discs. My front brake doesn't lock up either and I say this is good. The last thing I want if I am in a panic situation is to lose front end control. The rear locks up if I stand on the pedal. I had my brakes rebuilt at a local (Honda shop-my friend owns it) with aftermarket parts last spring. Check www.buykawasaki.com and you should be able to find what you need. If not check with Jeff at Z1enterprises if he doesn't have what you need he will probably send you to the right place.

1977 KZ650 Custom. Brought back from the dead after 13 years of neglect. Totally rebuilt from frame up. Wiseco 700 kit. Ported, polished heads. Triple angle valve job. Properly re-jetted rebuilt carbs, Filters, MAC Pipe, Barnett Clutch, Shortened Signal Light Stalks, Sculpted Seat, Painted Speedo/Tach Collars and Brake Calipers, Recessed Licence Plate, Polished Headlight Bucket, Bridgestones, Bead blasted rims, 14 tooth sprocket front, Superbike Bars, Painted 2005 Chrysler Magnum Red with silver and gold stripes. Only 13,000 miles on bike. Runs and looks like new and does it ever jump off the line! Colin Firth-Ontario-Canada
-1977 Kz650 Custom bought new by brother. Now with 810 kit, GPz750 cams, intake valves, Mikuni 29 smoothbores, velocity stacks, Dyna Igntion, MAC pipe and other goodies.
-1982 Ferrari 308 GTSi Red/Tan
-Toyota FJ Cruiser - 6 speed tank
-2010 Mazda CX-7 Turbo (my bride's)
-1998 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4.0...

Brakes question help 29 Nov 2005 07:43 #10877

• jenshhj
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
To make a dual disk setup work it's best to replace the master cylinder. Kawasaki dual disk masters are 5/8, if you use a master cylider for a single disk setup you might end up with too much lever movement. One way to firm up the lever feel, and transmit more braking power to the calipers, is to have good brake lines that don't expand under pressure.

650beater, you might get better braking action with new brake lines, and/or you might want to swap the master cylinder. Sounds like you have some gunk in the rear brake system.

. 29 Nov 2005 09:15 #10893

• JMKZHI
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 48
del

Last edit: by JMKZHI.
  • Page: