Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Front Fork Rebuild Procedure 28 Nov 2005 12:30 #10698

• NormZ
  • NormZ's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Wondering if anyone has compiled a complete procedure on performing a front fork rebuild (replacing seals, o-rings, springs, oil, etc). I've done a search on the forum and the filebase, while there is quite a bit of information in the archives I haven't found a complete step-by-step procedure.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Front Fork Rebuild Procedure 28 Nov 2005 12:36 #10700

• Mcdroid
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
  • Thank you received: 305
NormZ:

No, I've sort of been looking for that also...however, the KHI shop manual is very explicit and detailed. What I was sort of looking for were the handmade tools that were used by forum members to get around the special tools that Kawasaki uses. Pictures of these would be very nice but are lacking.
Michael
Alvin, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

Front Fork Rebuild Procedure 29 Nov 2005 15:04 #10944

• dannyg40
  • User
There was a link I found on the old forum when I was doing my forks. I had it stored in my favorites but I deleted it. If you do a search (or if I can find it) I will pos it. It was very good and I actually did mine. The extension was made from a 17 millimeter bolt and 3 nuts I "jammed together" and was able to seperate the forks. It bypassed that "special tool". I will try to find the link........ It was very good.

Front Fork Rebuild Procedure 29 Nov 2005 15:11 #10946

• dannyg40
  • User
Here is a link to 1 explanation. There was another, but this is all I could find so far. Same principle as my 750 LTD was. I didnt have access to any welder, so I just jammed 2 nuts together on 1 bolt really tight and it worked.

www.networksplus.net/n0nb/fork/fork.html

. 29 Nov 2005 16:11 #10961

• JMKZHI
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 48
del

Last edit: by JMKZHI.

Front Fork Rebuild Procedure 30 Nov 2005 02:44 #11025

• Mcdroid
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
  • Thank you received: 305
dannyg40 and JMKZHI...Thanks! Big group hug guys, those were great links.
Michael
Alvin, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

Front Fork Rebuild Procedure 30 Nov 2005 06:22 #11033

• NormZ
  • User
Thanks guys. :cheer: I found a few of these from searching the archives but it's nice to have them together in one place. There's a lot of good information here. Someone with spare time might want to compile these together into a document to add to the filebase.

Front Fork Rebuild Procedure 01 Dec 2005 07:37 #11248

• NormZ
  • User
When you guys do a fork rebuild, what parts do you replace? Just replace the seals, or other rubber as well? My forks have a major air leak (drops from 10psi down to 0psi in less than 24 hours) and a minor oil leak (after riding fork tubes are "wet" with oil but not dripping).

Here's what I'm considering replacing:

Oil Seals (92049)
Top Cap O-Rings (92055)
Air Valve O-Ring (92055A)
Air Valve (16126)
Balancing Tube O-Rings (92055B)
Balancing Tube (51044)
Drain Screw Gasket (11009)
Hex Screw Gasket (11009A)

I don't want to replace more than necessary, however I also want to do it right the first time. Ideally I would probably take it apart first to look at the condition of these parts before replacing. However I'm planning to do the rebuild (along with a few other repairs) during a 4 day holiday vacation and I would like to have all parts on hand before I start.

Oh yeah, my bike is a 1982 KZ1100A2 with 25,000 miles. According to maintenance records the forks have never been touched, not even changing the oil.

Front Fork Rebuild Procedure 08 Dec 2005 06:32 #12291

• NormZ
  • User
For those of you looking for a procedure, I found a pretty good step-by-step (with pictures :cheer:) at the following link:

motorcyclistonline.com/howto/howtoforkseal/

Front Fork Rebuild Procedure 13 Dec 2005 01:28 #12908

• CHARLESRAD
  • User
Got the Kawasaki Factory service manual for my 1982 kz twin 750 csr m1 fork seals are leaking, and I am just waiting for the parts to get here to start this job first time with this bike, However the factory service manual does show the procedure step by step and it is straight forward if you have the (special tools). The first is a (front fork cylinder holder handle a very long T handle. With secondly the (special tool) the front fork cylinder adapter that holds the piston and cylinder unit so you can remove the allen head on the bottom of the fork. Looks easy in the factory manual guy is doing the procedure on the floor one hand holding the t handle tool and the other hand holding the socket wrench with the allen bit on the wrench turning the allen head out of the fork. Guys it looks like I have two choices try to findthe special tool from my cycle shop or take the fork to them to remove the cylinder and spring out. I am not sure about the wooden dowel method my luckis such I would snap the dowel off in the fork. the manual lists the part numbers for both 57001-183 and 57001-1011 (special tool part numbers) cylinder fork handle T and cylinder fork adapter looks like a plumb bob. good luck everyone!!!!

• Page: