Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Anyone measure thier trail with the ZX or other fork swap? 26 Nov 2005 09:09 #10325

• CruisingRam
  • CruisingRam's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 15
For those that have swapped newer style front ends on thier Zs- have you measured the trail?

I have noticed that the ZX triple tree mounts the forks back a bit, which would change the trail 1-2inches or more , especially with the smaller diameter rims.

I was messing around with some forks for another persons bike- got to measuring the trail- and the stock trail was like almost 6 inches, and the swap changed everything to almost 4 inches- a fairly extreme change in trail and handling characteristics.

Post edited by: CruisingRam, at: 2005/11/26 14:01
1975 Z1 B 900- soon to be heavily modded
Pahoa, Hawaii is my new hom
I am working hard to save up the shipping money to get my shop opened here in Hawaii
I hate electrical stuff.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Anyone measure thier trail with the ZX or other fork swap? 26 Nov 2005 10:03 #10333

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
rode a friends ft500 the other day
cbr forks and wheel reduced trail but don't know how much. steering is much quicker than my stock ft500. especially so at very low speed. between fast jogging speed and 60(didn't go any faster) it felt great. scouting for some el-cheapo parts to do mine.

-Duck

Anyone measure thier trail with the ZX or other fork swap? 26 Nov 2005 11:00 #10341

• CruisingRam
  • User
Yes, but remember, reduced trail makes for better turning, but more trail means more high speed stability! Most manufacturors of super bikes seem to settle on 4.6 inches of trail- my sabre is that, so is a Hayabusa, so is a ZX10, 12 etc. Only the cruisers seem to have more trail- some as high as 6 inches- much more than that you have to "duck walk" the bike at just about every intersection!

I sure would like someone that has done some of the fork swaps to check thier trail! I would love to know what it comes out to!

Post edited by: CruisingRam, at: 2005/11/26 14:01
I am working hard to save up the shipping money to get my shop opened here in Hawaii
I hate electrical stuff.

Anyone measure thier trail with the ZX or other fork swap? 26 Nov 2005 11:43 #10351

• btchalice
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
how do you measure trail?
Terry Meyer / Wichita KS
76 kz900 w/1000 motor TWZTD
I am not driving too fast, I'm flying too low.

Anyone measure thier trail with the ZX or other fork swap? 26 Nov 2005 11:57 #10358

• twowheeledterror
  • Visitor
Ahh, but reduced trail is better turning, and handling can be assisted with a stabilizer.

Older bikes all had massive trail compared to new sportbikes, and let's be honest, which one handles better? :D

Anyone measure thier trail with the ZX or other fork swap? 26 Nov 2005 11:57 #10359

• twowheeledterror
  • Visitor
***Oh, I'll be home tonight from T Day... so I'll measure the trail on the KZ when I get there. It's a KZ650 with a ZX fork set.

Anyone measure thier trail with the ZX or other fork swap? 26 Nov 2005 12:17 #10363

• CruisingRam
  • User
btchalice wrote:

how do you measure trail?

Here is the best explanation in the world:

www.rbracing-rsr.com/rakeandtrail.html

Post edited by: CruisingRam, at: 2005/11/26 15:19
I hate electrical stuff.

Anyone measure thier trail with the ZX or other fork swap? 26 Nov 2005 16:45 #10400

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
i'll ask buddy tpo measure his ft500
and post both stock and his if he does...
it's definitely close to the limit for slow speed stability without resorting to feet....
BTW, he has a steering damper and replacement forks are somewhat stiffer than stock plus the frame has been gussetted. It's a tigh bike for sure.

-Duck

• Page: