Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

left hand control 16 Aug 2006 19:55 #70110

• freebyrd24
  • freebyrd24's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
alright, i got a free kz1000 left hand control unit (blinkers, horn, hi/lo, hazards). i attempted to fix my horn before because of a disconnected ground, and broke an irreplacable piece of plastic inside it. my question is this. coming from the bike, i have 10 wires. coming from the new part, i have 9. now 8 of the wires match up color coded, but heres the problem. i have a green and a grey wire left from the bike, and a blue w/yellow stripe wire left from the new part. any ideas?
- 1981 KZ1000-K1 LTD - Long term project
1075cc Kit - New Wiseco Pistons

Sold:
- 1978 kz650 SR, 4-1 Vance and Hines Full Exhaust, Dyna-S Ignition, Accel Coils and Wires

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

left hand control 16 Aug 2006 20:14 #70115

• inline79
  • User
Hmm. Green and Grey are SAE standards for left and right blinkers, it seems odd that your control unit didn't have them.

Well, there is a possibility, that the KZ1000 control is from something with different hazard/blinker wiring, perhaps going to some sort of control unit.

You'll likely need to go through the KZ1000 wiring diagrams in the filebase to figure out which KZ1000 your control unit came from. Then you'll be able to match up the wires to your KZ650, if possible at all.

Hope this helps.

left hand control 17 Aug 2006 07:43 #70224

• freebyrd24
  • User
just searched through all the diagrams, and something just isnt adding up. part came off a 1980 kz1000ltd the guy said.

Sold:
- 1978 kz650 SR, 4-1 Vance and Hines Full Exhaust, Dyna-S Ignition, Accel Coils and Wires

left hand control 18 Aug 2006 04:35 #70541

• freebyrd24
  • User
just an update, i have traced the extra wires down to the dimmer switch. the horn, turn signals, and hazard wires all match up no problem. now for that dimmer switch, the part has blue, red/yellow, blue/yellow, red/black wire. The 650 has a blue, red/orange, red/blue. any ideas?

Sold:

left hand control 18 Aug 2006 07:14 #70580

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Blue is a standard sub-circuit color that comes either from a switch on the right switch gear that turns the headlight on (provides a positive voltage) or directly from the ignition switch (provides positive voltage). On older bikes, the switched voltage out of the ignition switch also went through a switch on the right switchgear and on newer KZs, the headlight is always on and controlled only by the ignition switch.

The red/black and red/yellow go to a plug inside the headlight shell. This plug marries with the plug that connects to your headlight bulb socket. The red/black and red/yellow are the low and high beams respectively if memory serves. You need to double check by looking at the colors at the bulb socket and see which mates with the longer and shorter elements.

The red/orange and red/blue are the analgous wires on a 650. To determine which goes to high beam and which to low beam, just open up the switch gear and look at the slide switch. You will see the blue wire feed two contacts. If the high beam is DOWN, the wire coming off the bottom contact will be high beam color; either red/orange or red/blue...
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

left hand control 19 Aug 2006 08:57 #70886

• inline79
  • User
I'm looking at the Z1000D3 diagram and it looks like on these bikes blue/yellow is the +12V feed into the dimmer switch and then there is a second pole on the dimmer with blue abd yellow/blue that go to something called the "Reserve Lighting Device" and "Resistor". Anyone know what do these do?

Anyways, I would do this:
Switch - Bike
blue/yellow - blue
red/yellow - red/orange (this is probably a faded red/yellow)
red/black - red/blue (again, a faded red/black?)

You can't really do any damage unless the blue wire hits a ground and you blow a fuse, otherwise you'll just get a series of strange headlight behaviours. Give it a shot and let us know!

If you feel like doing some soldering I can mail you my spare horn switch. pm me if you want it.

left hand control 19 Aug 2006 22:20 #71004

• freebyrd24
  • User
alright i have an update. like you guessed inline, once i got going and really dug at the wires, they were badly faded and were matched up fine. the red/yellow and the red/blacck ones matched up no problem! now heres the thing. i matched the blue with the blue, which left the spare blue/yellow wire from the new handle switch from the 1000. so what i did was tie the blue yellow, in with the other two blues that i hooked together. now i have hi/lo......sometimes. wen i flip from hi to lo on the switch, it sometimes flicks the light, its stuck on high but wen the switch is moved around a lot itll sometimes flip to lo. any idea what i can to with that blue/yellow wire to fix this?

Sold:

left hand control 20 Aug 2006 01:33 #71024

• inline79
  • User
Try not hooking blue/yellow to anything (wrap the connector end in electrical tape).

I think it's some strange DPDT (Double Pole Double Throw) switch as in the diagram below.

Attachments:

left hand control 20 Aug 2006 19:23 #71199

• freebyrd24
  • User
yeah that was the diagram i had been using, ill try to unhook that wire tomorrow after work and ill let you know. thanks for all the help though inline and wg

Sold:

left hand control 21 Aug 2006 14:10 #71403

• freebyrd24
  • User
fixed! i disconnected the blue.yellow wire and it works like a charm. interestingly enough, i now have an off position. halfway between the high and lo the lights shut off, which i think is pretty cool. but other than that the controls work perfectly and im very happy, thanks guys.

Sold:

• Page: