Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

New ignition for 78 KZ650B 16 Aug 2006 13:03 #70015

• OLKZ
  • OLKZ's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I have a KZ650B from 1978. Seems to be a popular bike hereabouts. Anyhow, it has stock (original) coils and one of them has emittted some foamy stuff that hardened into a little buble adjacent to end of the horizontal bar that runs through it.

Well, that was more than 5 years ago and the machine has run ok since then. Although now it has problems and won't run when its cold.

Anyhow, can I replace the ignition system in pieces? Can I put some better performing coils on now, then replace the points etc with electronic ignition later? I keep hearing about the primary resistance for the points-style coils being higher than the electronic ones. I don't want to have to change out the coils yet again if/when I change the rest of the parts. I also want something I can bold up in the original mounting position, if possible.

Is that something that can't be done?

How can I get some coils that are really going to make some kind of difference without paying two arms and a leg, or worse, pay more for something that doesn't perform as well as what I have now?

-T
1978 KZ650B2 - Blue - runs!
New Dyna-S ignition & coils 6-2014

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New ignition for 78 KZ650B 16 Aug 2006 16:39 #70060

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
You can get 3 ohm Dyna or Accel coils now, and they will work with the Dyna ignition also.

Check www.z1enterprises.com/ , I don't think you can beat Jeffs prices or service.

Post edited by: steell, at: 2006/08/16 19:40
KD9JUR

New ignition for 78 KZ650B 16 Aug 2006 19:14 #70099

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 239
I put the dyna coils in my old 78 KZ650 when it had like 80,000 miles on the stock ones. What a difference-NOT. Could not tell one bit of difference in the starting or running. Then the cheap crap auto type ignition wires spark plug end pulled off of one of them, so I was very happy to reinstall the original coils and they are still doing just fine. Getting rid of points is your first priority. That made no difference in running either, but at least no more constant headaches with points. Dyna coils will mount right in your stock position, but don't expect miracles.
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• Page: