Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Weird turn signal... 31 Jul 2006 12:42 #66112

• Omen87
  • Omen87's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
As some of you may know, I've been working on fixing lots of little things on the KZ550 I bought. I fixed the fuel petcock today and some wiring yesterday.

Yesterday, my turn signals were working fine. I had just installed a new flasher unit and they were working great. Today, I went out and my right blinker is fine. But my left is one very slow. The rear turn signal is flashing correctly just slow. The front, also a running light, instead of the bright element turning on for the flash, the low element is just turning off. So it goes out completely. I changed the bulb, and disconnecting and reconnecting the blinker to no avail. Should I try a different blinker unit? Or is something more in depth possibly wrong?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Weird turn signal... 31 Jul 2006 12:44 #66114

• trippivot
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
loose connection re check 'em

Weird turn signal... 31 Jul 2006 13:00 #66123

• 77Davo650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
I re-wired my bike and have the same gremlins in the front left turn signal. It turns off instead of getting brighter, and it does go slow. The bulb is good, I checked it.

1. I think it could be because I don't have a horn and I rigged up the horn wires to a small auto light bulb to see if pressing the horn button would light it up. It didn't work, so I think it might be grounded or wired wrong there, as the power from the turn signals also goes through the horn wiring.

2. I got wal-mart flashers which was probably a bad idea. I need to go get heavy duty automotive flashers from an auto parts store to see if that works.

I think our problem could be from either a bad ground or bad flashers. I'll try and check it out tonight, but I've got a bad clutch also so It might be the day after tomorrow before I get to the wiring again. I'm counting on the horn wiring being the problem, messing up the current. Do you have a horn hooked up?
77 KZ650 C1 (sold)
78 KZ650 B2 (sold)
78 KZ400 B1 (sold)
78 kz400 C1 (resto-mod)
78 kz400 C1 (hardtail low chop)
couple of possible project kz's in parts

Weird turn signal... 31 Jul 2006 13:49 #66142

• Robjb84
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I actually have the same problem on my KZ440, left and right blinkers blink at different rates. Though I also have a problem now in that after making a few signals, the screw inside the control assembly loosens and stops me from making left turn signals :/

Weird turn signal... 31 Jul 2006 14:45 #66153

• Omen87
  • Omen87's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Well, I suck. It was just so darn dirty inside the socket for the bulb it couldn't make good contact. I cleaned it out and now it works. Thanks for the suggestions.

Weird turn signal... 31 Jul 2006 18:43 #66199

• Nevco48
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
For my 2 cents worth, it may have been a bad ground; that can make strange things happen.

OK maybe that is only 1 cent worth:unsure:

• Page: