A word of warning !!

• Wookie58
  • Topic Author
More
07 Jul 2024 08:51 #901858 by Wookie58
A word of warning !! was created by Wookie58
While I was working on my electrics today I noticed something with the relays I will be using that I thought I would share with you, have you ever noticed that some relays have a "Resistor" or a "Diode" in the primary side of the relay ? If so have you ever wondered why it is there ?
Lot's of you guys are fitting more and more electronic devices to your bikes (ignition modules, instruments, system controllers etc) so I thought it made sense to cover this topic - the old motto "better safe than sorry" comes to mind as diagnosing the potential issues that can be caused by using "un-protected" relays with electronics will catch out even the most experienced enthusiast 

These relays have the resistor or diode to block "reverse voltage spikes" when you turn them off - sounds strange I know but the winding in a relay generates a magnetic field (just like an ignition coil) which when turned off inducts a voltage (same as a coil secondary/HT)

I have included a screen shot from an oscilloscope which shows a regular 4 pin autoparts store relay inducing a momentary spike of nearly 400v 

This is the potential scenario if not using a protected relay with electronics

You fit your new gizmo with a regular relay - turn it on, works great - turn it off - turn it back on and it doesn't work (the 400v back EMF has fried it) so you do your checks, relay works, wiring is all good so "gizmo" must be faulty. Take it back to the store and get a new "gizmo" fit it, turn it on, happy days, turn it off and "poof" new gizmo is fried 
Do your checks, wiring is ok maybe a "bad ground" no that's ok - so back to the store. Store guy is not happy to replace another gizmo but does begrudgingly. You take it home fit it and guess what happens next !!!!!!!!!!!! This time store guy tells you to f#*k off 
  • The following user(s) said Thank You: slmjim+Z1BEBE, gd4now, sf4t7, Dragbike_Mike, howardhb, Flyingdutchman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• howardhb
    • Sustaining Member
    • God, I trust
    More
    07 Jul 2024 09:20 - 07 Jul 2024 23:31 #901862 by howardhb
    Replied by howardhb on topic A word of warning !!
    A "flywheel diode", reverse polarised, across the coil's terminals will "snub" that spike, even if using a relay that does not have an internal resistor.
    I routinely use 1N4001 or 1N4007 diodes.

H.

'81 GPz 550 D1
    '81 GPz 1100 B1 ELR "Tribute" www.kzrider.com/our-forum/11-projects/61...-elr-tribute?start=0
    '82 Yamaha YB100 Fizzie
    '79 Suzuki GT200 X5 TWO STROKE TWIN - SMOKER!
  • Last edit: 07 Jul 2024 23:31 by howardhb.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

More
    07 Jul 2024 10:53 #901863 by F64
    Replied by F64 on topic A word of warning !!
    Thanks for that Wookie.
    I have to throw a diode on my starter solenoid and horn relay soon.
    I was just looking at a video last night concerning this.

Here's a video from EEVblog discussing the issue.

81-KZ440-D2.
    Louis Dudzik's GM HEI ignitor conversion installed 2015 s3.amazonaws.com/gpzweb/Ignition/GPZgmHEImod.html
    Motogadget m-unit blue installed 2017.
    LIC, NY
    The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58, Flyingdutchman

More
    07 Jul 2024 17:44 #901866 by Mikaw
    Replied by Mikaw on topic A word of warning !!
    I thought the symbol between 85-86 was a coil. Are you saying it’s indicating a diode?

1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
    1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
    1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
    1980 KZ 750 E1
    Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
    Jimi Hendrix.

More
    07 Jul 2024 17:55 #901868 by F64
    In Wookie's photo between 85 and 86 is a coil. You are correct.

The one below has a built in diode.

81-KZ440-D2.
    Louis Dudzik's GM HEI ignitor conversion installed 2015 s3.amazonaws.com/gpzweb/Ignition/GPZgmHEImod.html
    LIC, NY
  • The following user(s) said Thank You: Mikaw

More
    07 Jul 2024 18:47 #901869 by Mikaw
    Replied by Mikaw on topic A word of warning !!

In Wookie's photo between 85 and 86 is a coil. You are correct.

The one below has a built in diode.

With the one you posted you need to be mindful of coil polarity?

1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
    1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
    1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
    1980 KZ 750 E1
    Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
    Jimi Hendrix.

More
    07 Jul 2024 20:17 #901873 by F64
    Yes, with a diode inside the relay, you need to have the correct polarity on the relay's coil.
    There is a "+" sign next to the 86 terminal.

81-KZ440-D2.
    LIC, NY
    The following user(s) said Thank You: Mikaw, howardhb

• Wookie58
    • Topic Author
    More
    08 Jul 2024 00:21 #901875 by Wookie58
    Replied by Wookie58 on topic A word of warning !!

I thought the symbol between 85-86 was a coil. Are you saying it’s indicating a diode?
    Good spot Mikaw (I must have been having a senior moment with that diagram) this is what a relay with resistor looks like

• The following user(s) said Thank You: Flyingdutchman

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
    • User
    • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
    More
    08 Jul 2024 03:01 #901876 by slmjim+Z1BEBE
    Replied by slmjim+Z1BEBE on topic A word of warning !!
    slmjim here.  Twenty+ years career in photocopier & printer hardware before moving into print / scan / fax Network Analyst arena.

Low voltage DC solenoids are all over those devices, some of which are quite robust.  All have spike suppression diodes built in where they can't be seen except as a small lump under the coil wrap, or in the schematic.  Those diodes serve exactly the same purpose; to keep spikes caused by the field collapsing through the coil from spiking voltage & current back into the control PCB's.

I've never seen a resistor as spike suppressor across a coil in that type of equipment, only diodes.  What is the value of the resistor?  Seems it would add undesireable load.

Good Ridin'
    slmjim

A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
    A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1973 ('72 builds) Z1 x2
    1974 Z1-A x2
    1975 Z1-B x2
    1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
    2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
    An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
    on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

• Wookie58
    • Topic Author
    More
    08 Jul 2024 03:10 #901877 by Wookie58

slmjim here.  Twenty+ years career in photocopier & printer hardware before moving into print / scan / fax Network Analyst arena.

Low voltage DC solenoids are all over those devices, some of which are quite robust.  All have spike suppression diodes built in where they can't be seen except as a small lump under the coil wrap, or in the schematic.  Those diodes serve exactly the same purpose; to keep spikes caused by the field collapsing through the coil from spiking voltage & current back into the control PCB's.

I've never seen a resistor as spike suppressor across a coil in that type of equipment, only diodes.  What is the value of the resistor?  Seems it would add undesireable load.

Good Ridin'
    slmjim
    I don't know the value of the resistor unfortunately, only that it is greater than the resistance of the relay coil. Because it is in "parallel" with the relay coil and electricity is lazy, under normal operating conditions the current passes through the relay coil (the path of least resistance) so any load increase is negligible 
    The following user(s) said Thank You: slmjim+Z1BEBE, Flyingdutchman

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
    • User
    • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
    More
    08 Jul 2024 03:24 #901878 by slmjim+Z1BEBE
    Replied by slmjim+Z1BEBE on topic A word of warning !!

Good Ridin'
    slmjim
    I don't know the value of the resistor unfortunately, only that it is greater than the resistance of the relay coil. Because it is in "parallel" with the relay coil and electricity is lazy, under normal operating conditions the current passes through the relay coil (the path of least resistance) so any load increase is negligible 

Seems the spike would conduct through the coil instead of the resistor then?  Perhaps the device printed as a rectangle across the coil on the relay cover is in fact a a diode, but is represented as a generic symbol?  Although the relay posted doesn't indicate coil polarity as does the one F64 shows.  Feel like I'm missing something obvious...

Good Ridin'
    slmjim

A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
    A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1973 ('72 builds) Z1 x2
    1974 Z1-A x2
    1975 Z1-B x2
    1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
    2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
    An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
    on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

• Wookie58
    • Topic Author
    More
    08 Jul 2024 03:35 #901879 by Wookie58

Good Ridin'
    slmjim

Seems the spike would conduct through the coil instead of the resistor then?  Perhaps the device printed as a rectangle across the coil on the relay cover is in fact a a diode, but is represented as a generic symbol?  Although the relay posted doesn't indicate coil polarity as does the one F64 shows.  Feel like I'm missing something obvious...

Good Ridin'
    slmjim
    Hi Jim, please see below

• The following user(s) said Thank You: slmjim+Z1BEBE, gd4now, linuxrob, ajh