Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Query for gauge bracket wiring harness wrap on a Z2 750 15 Feb 2024 10:34 #895279

• asphalt900
  • asphalt900's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 167
Anyone have a Z2 750? This harness has obvious differences then all the 650/750/900 and 1000's. It's longer to start with and appears to of been "tape wrapped" originally unlike the masses of mentioned models that utilized the sheath over wiring. Tape that came off has all the properties of original, width and low tack which would of been used originally. So i'm 95percent sure it's not some home made tape-up job. Yes Hardrock, i'm at it again, ha.  
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Query for gauge bracket wiring harness wrap on a Z2 750 16 Feb 2024 08:27 #895319

• asphalt900
  • User
Well never mind, think i have this issue handled. But if a person runs across this issue on a similar unique Z2 seems that factory looking tape was..well factory. But apparently what they did was pre-wrap then sheath over that tape. I don't buy those over-priced closed cell gauge damper pads, they have 4 . I make my own. Anyway if it helps someone in the future going thru the same issue here's some photos of a finished Z2 750 1976 gauge cluster bracket and wiring.  
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mcdroid, Wookie58

Query for gauge bracket wiring harness wrap on a Z2 750 17 Feb 2024 04:21 #895343

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1022
A few years ago I bought an OEM set of those damper pads off ebay and used them to copy and make my own.  Did you find the right bulbs?
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
The following user(s) said Thank You: asphalt900

Query for gauge bracket wiring harness wrap on a Z2 750 17 Feb 2024 05:05 #895346

• asphalt900
  • User
Its just EVA foam, getting the correct thickness is key though. Too thick, gauges get bound tight, too thin and they just flop around. This material, although denser then original, seems to be the sweet spot. I've seen those NOS replacements go for over 70USD a piece over the years, that's just nutty!! Because i do all kinds of different gauge brackets, i've noticed different dimensions within the Kawasaki KZ/Z1 line-up. So i just cut to fit per application. I have a tray of the original Stanley 3.4W bulbs. You know, the ones with the correct sized glass.  

Query for gauge bracket wiring harness wrap on a Z2 750 17 Feb 2024 18:53 #895370

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1022
That's what I was wondering...the bulbs are much smaller than anything today.  I don't know where they got them but they're hard to find nowadays, although they seldom fail.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

Query for gauge bracket wiring harness wrap on a Z2 750 18 Feb 2024 12:12 #895395

• Mcdroid
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
  • Thank you received: 301

Anyone have a Z2 750? This harness has obvious differences then all the 650/750/900 and 1000's. It's longer to start with and appears to of been "tape wrapped" originally unlike the masses of mentioned models that utilized the sheath over wiring. Tape that came off has all the properties of original, width and low tack which would of been used originally. So i'm 95percent sure it's not some home made tape-up job. Yes Hardrock, i'm at it again, ha.  
So, I finally dug out my buried Z2A parts containing and looked at the harness you inquired about...mine is a 1975 year model and appears to have been sheathed over and not wrapped...I am fairly confident that this harness is OEM and the previous owner hasn't messed with it.
Michael
Alvin, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

Query for gauge bracket wiring harness wrap on a Z2 750 19 Feb 2024 03:04 #895413

• asphalt900
  • User
Thank-You McDroid!! Yes, that was my final conclusion, sheathed. I had since found some photo examples of used ones and they too were sheathed like every other one. So i cut a new length of stuff and did it up like "every other one". Came out just fine. They had probably previously cut-off the old crunchy sheath and used some cheaper electrical tape to cover. The good tape like 3M leaves behind that gooey residue on the individual wire's insulation, wasn't the case i encountered. Hardrock, yes, those bulbs are seemingly hard to find. I'd ordered some from Partzilla about a year ago and they were of a different manufacture and glass was a bit taller and fatter. 

• Page: