• Page:

TOPIC:

KZ440 Ignition (Igniter) 06 Oct 2023 16:13 #890167

• zrxxx
  • zrxxx's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Expressing frustration:
So when I first got my basket case, my goal was to confirm the bike was a runner, and I did. Then, I proceeded to tear it back down so I could build it back up the way I had envisioned it. Fast forward 5 years (lol) and I'm trying to get it running again, and during the no-start condition I ran into, I found by accident that my coil was getting really hot to the touch. Dig a little deeper and it turns out my point is constantly providing a ground to the coil, no matter how I adjust it, Rather than buy a new point, I decided to install the CDI that I had pieced together from a few different eBay sellers. I did this several years ago as a planned upgrade for when I got the bike back on the road.

After installing and expecting it to fire right up, I got nothing but cranking with no kicking over. I checked for spark and I got nada. Whip out the old servicer manual to verify I didn't F it up, and confirmed it's all installed properly. Grab my DMM to check the resistance of the Igniter and it's open resistance across all terminals. GREAT!

I just bought a used on on eBay, it arrived today and out of the box I tried to verify the resistance, and the same thing. Seller wrote "ran when parked, no guarantees." so I'm asking if they'll accept a return. What are we (the community) doing about no longer available parts? I did read a blip about using a GM HEI module and building my own CDI, but meh. I might have to buy a point? 
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ440 Ignition (Igniter) 07 Oct 2023 13:05 #890215

• Nerdy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 381
I was going to recommend an electronic ignition from 7th Gear Designs but it looks like the site no longer exists. :(
1979 KZ400 Gifted to a couple of nephews
1967 Yamaha YCS1 Bonanza
1980 KZ440B
1981 Yamaha XT250H
1981 KZ440 LTD project bike
1981 GPz550
2013 Yamaha FZ6R

KZ440 Ignition (Igniter) 20 Oct 2023 07:44 #890697

• zrxxx
  • zrxxx's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Thanks for your consideration Nerdy. I just received my GM HEI module in the mail, and still waiting to receive the 1 watt resistors. A soon as I gather all I need, I'm doing the Dudzik trick. If that doesn't work, I guess it's old school points 
Attachments:

• Page: