Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Oil pressure light on European Z400J four cyclinder. 22 Sep 2022 11:58 #874262

• zedordead
  • zedordead's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
This model has the oil pressure light in the tacho next to the stop light warning light.(edited because I'm an idiot). Neither lights are working and I noticed that all the wiring for the sidestand switch incuding the switch itself and the cable that was meant to retract the stand are missing. The engine is very quiet and after doing about 40 miles on it since I bought it is not making any strange noises and I'm reassured of the oil pressure being OK by a small leak from the rockerbox gasket.
I had originally thought that the oil pressure light wiring might have been affected by the removal of the sidestand switch wiring..but looking inside the headlight shows no sign of this being the case. The bulb was swapped for a new one but still nothing. I have traced the wiring as far into the loom as I can and all seems OK but I understand that doesn't mean much. I googled testing the light and was instructed to test the wire from the pressure switch under the engine by disconnecting the wire from the switch and with the ignition on looking for a voltage with a multimeter. There is a fair bit of soldering around the wire connection to the switch so I didn't disconnect the wire for fear of having to resolder it again.From what I can see the wire goes up into a space in the engine case where there is a single wire connector. That's about as far as I've got as i'm not good rolling around garage floors any more these days. I know, I should invest in a bike lift but y'know how it is.
                                           Should I persevere with testing the wiring or just buy another pressure switch? Have to say I've not personally had a pressure switch fail on any of my bikes over years and it does appear that somebody has also had a go at the wiring as the wire coming from the switch as it isn't the same colour as the wring in the headlight and wiring loom.
Oh lord, protect me from your followers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by zedordead.

Oil pressure light on European Z400J four cyclinder. 22 Sep 2022 12:27 #874264

• Warren3200gt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 648
Oil pressure switches seldom go wrong however if left un used for a goodly while can get sticky. I would test you have continuity from the wire where it connects to the single pole on the oil pressure switch and the connector in the headlight. If you have continuity cut the botched soldered connection by the switch, remove the switch and give it a good clean and ensure the plunger is free moving without any stickyness. Test the switch with your multimeter if OK refit. Then solder a proper connector to the wire and refit. The wire pole connection should be covered with a rubber boot. 

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

Last edit: by Warren3200gt.

Oil pressure light on European Z400J four cyclinder. 22 Sep 2022 12:45 #874266

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2658
Unless I'm mistaken, the switch can be tested easily by checking continuity to ground from the wire terminal.  Engine off, wire goes to ground.  Engine running (oil pressure,) no continuity to ground. 

Oil pressure light on European Z400J four cyclinder. 22 Sep 2022 15:58 #874275

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
  • Thank you received: 360
I know next to nothing about the Z400 machines. So I am asking if it has an oil pressure warning light or as some of the 550 bikes have, an oil level system with warning light.  Just attempting to learn more.
1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

This is my Z

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT

Oil pressure light on European Z400J four cyclinder. 23 Sep 2022 02:35 #874298

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1892
It´s not an oil level sensor, it´s an oil pressure switch.

Attachments:

Oil pressure light on European Z400J four cyclinder. 23 Sep 2022 03:18 #874301

• zedordead
  • User

Oil pressure switches seldom go wrong however if left un used for a goodly while can get sticky. I would test you have continuity from the wire where it connects to the single pole on the oil pressure switch and the connector in the headlight. If you have continuity cut the botched soldered connection by the switch, remove the switch and give it a good clean and ensure the plunger is free moving without any stickyness. Test the switch with your multimeter if OK refit. Then solder a proper connector to the wire and refit. The wire pole connection should be covered with a rubber boot. 
                  OK thanks that's good advice and worth doing before I drop the oil out to remove the switch. The rubber boot thing sounds like a bit of a luxury on a 39yr old bike, I'll get some pics later to show you what I mean.

Oil pressure light on European Z400J four cyclinder. 23 Sep 2022 03:21 #874302

• zedordead
  • User

Unless I'm mistaken, the switch can be tested easily by checking continuity to ground from the wire terminal.  Engine off, wire goes to ground.  Engine running (oil pressure,) no continuity to ground. 
                 I'm a relative latecomer to Multimeters so I'll have to give the nice Mr Wookie's tutorial another read. Electrickery is still a bit magical to some of us!

Oil pressure light on European Z400J four cyclinder. 23 Sep 2022 03:24 #874304

• zedordead
  • User

It´s not an oil level sensor, it´s an oil pressure switch.

That looks very much like my sump, Can I ask which manual you are showing the pictures from? A picture of the front cover would be good too if you don't mind.

Oil pressure light on European Z400J four cyclinder. 23 Sep 2022 04:16 #874305

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1892
ebay.de/itm/185104307972

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: zedordead

Oil pressure light on European Z400J four cyclinder. 23 Sep 2022 04:20 #874306

• Warren3200gt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 648
Don't know your model but if the oil pressure switch is higher than the oil level in the sight glass you don't need to drain the oil to remove the pressure switch. 

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

Last edit: by Warren3200gt.

Oil pressure light on European Z400J four cyclinder. 23 Sep 2022 07:34 #874314

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
  • Thank you received: 360
Thanks for the education on which it is.  As I said I know very little about the z400s and now I have learned something new. Now the question is will I be able to remember it in the future?
1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

This is my Z

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT

Oil pressure light on European Z400J four cyclinder. 23 Sep 2022 08:20 #874317

• zedordead
  • User
Thanks for all the great advice folks, this is what I've found (those of a nervous disposition should look away now)    

This is what we have. 

This is what we have when I removed the screw holding the wire to the switch  

This is the length of the aforementioned screw  

Thoughts please Gentlemen.

Attachments: