Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

{K}Z200 confusion 22 May 2020 07:02 #826329

• Mobuzz
  • Mobuzz's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
It seems this engine had a CDI or something else. After removing the top crank cover, there's a timing chain and sprocket only. It looks like the shaft is shorter than the ones intended for a points system since there's nowhere for the advance mechanism to be attached, which seems to be attached directly to a longer, tapered end. There would also be another cover (lying in front of the engine in the pic, from another engine) over the sprocket where the points plate would have attached. It's rather annoying that the service manual covering the models '76 to '84 does not mention the changes in the range. I cant find any info on the '82/83 and up versions with the newer ignition systems. Even the parts lists and sites mentioned here only provide points system info and spares, some even only up to '79 models. I dont know how popular the bike was locally. There are less than a handful, running ones advertised for sale across the country. I guess the search continues for spares or a boffin with experience to give the little engine the spark it needs....
KZ200 '79/'82
79 with a points ignition system rebuilt to 82's electronics
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Mobuzz. Reason: Added pics which failed to upload

{K}Z200 confusion 22 May 2020 08:05 #826334

• Mobuzz
  • User
Just to add, I did wonder if this was for a 6 pin CDI, probably is.
KZ200 '79/'82
Attachments:

Last edit: by Mobuzz.

{K}Z200 confusion 22 May 2020 08:19 #826335

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
Some, maybe not very helpful, info.........

thegoogleof.blogspot.com/2012/12/1981-ka...ingle-cam-chain.html
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mobuzz

{K}Z200 confusion 22 May 2020 09:03 #826337

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1620
The 1980 250 w points ignition seems to be identical to the 79 200. The later 250s had electronic ignition w pulsing coil & I did not see a timing advancer, so the ignition system may be fully transistorized with no mechanical advancer & the generator rotor may have a rotating mass that triggers the pulsing coil pickup >> the igniter then would have the circuitry for advancing the timing (guessing). For comparison the KZ700 is kind of similar w a non-mechanical pulsing coil rotor in place of the timing advancer & the rotor acts to trigger the pickups then the igniter works out the advance.

If you remove the LH generator cover, you might see the pickup at about the 10 o'clock position behind the inner engine cover. If the pickup is missing, you might be able to use the 250 pickup, but you'd probably need the 200 igniter.

ps: I have no idea if the 200 elec ignition would actually be a CDI system, but it may just be an electronic transistorized ignition system. CDI is often times used as kind of a generic term.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

{K}Z200 confusion 22 May 2020 10:10 #826341

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
I think I recall one of those small Kz's (200/250 single, and 250/305 twin) having an actual CDI, as opposed to transistorized Kettering which is what all of the other electronic Kz's had.
The following user(s) said Thank You: martin_csr

Last edit: by loudhvx.

{K}Z200 confusion 22 May 2020 10:44 #826343

• martin_csr
  • User
Thanks. The motorcyclespecs.co.za specs site says the 83 early production 200s had a Merzi CDI & later called Merzi Cobra. some late production 82 models may have had the Merzi CDI as well.

{K}Z200 confusion 22 May 2020 11:05 #826344

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
I couldn't find too much info, especially on the Non-U.S. models, but I did find a note in my Kz200 files that the Kz250 single was still transistorized-kettering. This can be identified by the ignition coil being connected to a 12v source (like all of the rest of the Kz's).

The 305 twin, however, I wrote is actual CDI. I also questioned if this meant the 250-twin was also CDI.

So it was the 305-twin I was thinking of as CDI.

Later, electronic Kz200's I would have thought would have the same ignition as the 250 singles, but I can't find a diagram and Kawasaki-parts only shows U.S. models.

If someone can find an actual wiring diagram for the 1982 Kz200A5 in question, it will probably show if it's CDI or not.

CDI wiring will not have a 12v source connected directly to the coil. Also, with CDI, the kill switch is usually a short to ground to kill the bike, as opposed to most Kz's where the kill switch opens a 12v source to kill the bike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mobuzz

{K}Z200 confusion 22 May 2020 12:17 #826346

• Mobuzz
  • User
It seems there is a CDI compatible with these models : CDI Box Kawasaki KLF KLT KZ 200 250 300
KZ200 '79/'82

{K}Z200 confusion 22 May 2020 14:09 #826348

• martin_csr
  • User
You should check the model application to make sure it's for a KZ200. also, beware of made in china.

loudhvx: from the info at the motorcyclespecs.co.za specs site, the 82 wiring diagram might show a points ignition. If so, then you'd need to find an 83-on A6 wiring diagram. Indonesia seems to be a popular country for the model. I tried searching for ignition components on EB UK, but didn't find anything. motorcyclespecs.co.za >> Z200 ... CycleChaos.com>> KZ200
The following user(s) said Thank You: loudhvx

{K}Z200 confusion 22 May 2020 20:00 #826363

• Kidkawie
  • User
  • I bleed premix
  • Thank you received: 245
As much as the hunt can be fun, you will still be throwing money at an obsolete engine. You should fit a 250, etc or something with more parts availability.

I couldnt find EU parts diagrams that went back that far, so you would have to source a parts manual.
1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

{K}Z200 confusion 23 May 2020 07:44 #826390

• martin_csr
  • User
By Kidkawie: .... I couldnt find EU parts diagrams that went back that far, so you would have to source a parts manual.

CMSNL.com has diagrams for some non-USA models, but I didn't see anything for an 80s 200.

{K}Z200 confusion 23 May 2020 10:26 #826396

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
The charging system will have two or three yellow wires from the stator (in the flywheel area).

In addition to that,

A non-CDI electronic ignition will probably just have a pickup (trigger) coil near the flywheel which will be an additional two wires, probably not yellow.

A CDI electronic ignition will probably have a pickup (trigger) coil and an additional exciter winding or two. So that will be two wires for the trigger pickup and two or three more wires for the exciter windings.

That might narrow down what ignition to look for. If all you have are two wires for a trigger pickup, then you probably want a Kz250 non-CDI ignition like that found in the U.S. If you have all of those extra wires, then you will want an actual CDI ignition unit found on those other models that you listed.

CDI is often used on off-road bikes and small displacement bikes because they can run easily without a battery. Kawasaki may install different ignitions for the U.S. versus developing countries. It may be harder to get batteries, and lighting may not be as important, so CDI system will be used on bikes going to those developing countries, whereas the U.S. will have much more stringent lighting requirements so will use a battery-powered electronic ignition (like those found on most KZ's).
The following user(s) said Thank You: martin_csr

Last edit: by loudhvx.