Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

headlight wiring issue 20 Jun 2006 16:51 #55833

• rivieracadman
  • rivieracadman's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Everyone. I have gremlins in my wiring once again... Two weeks ago I was headed for home and my headlight went out. I pulled off the road at a friends resterant and proceeded to strip down the bike in the parking lot. I replaced the fuse (which was bad), Then the bulb, (which was also bad), and even took the controls apart to see if I could figure out the problem. No go. I ended up trailering the bike back to the house that night. Now it's been two weeks of tinkering, and I still have not made any progress. I've checked all the connectors, and everything seems to be ok, but I can't find any shorted wires either. Just wondering if you guys have any ideas as to where I might try looking. BTW, the bike still runs perfectly and all the other lights operate as they should.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

headlight wiring issue 20 Jun 2006 18:36 #55860

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
  • Thank you received: 7
So the fuse burned at the same time as the light? Did you still have hi-beam when you replaced the fuse?

Sounds like a short, it could have been that some wires rubbed together in a way that you cannot see once apart. Maybe just wrap your headlight wires in some electical tape to protect from whatever happened...
(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

headlight wiring issue 21 Jun 2006 05:54 #55941

• donthekawguy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
Have you followed the wires all the way thru the harness? It might be a good idea to take it all apart and check all the wires. Couldn't hurt anyway and you might find something else gone wrong.
Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

headlight wiring issue 21 Jun 2006 08:01 #55978

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
The small headlight harness which connects the main harness to the headlight is prone to failure. It is in the headlight shell and consists of three wires... high beam, low beam and ground. The black connector that connects to the headlight itself tends to break down from heat and some are melted. The other end that connects to the main harness inside the headlight shell can also melt. That is the first thing I would check if bulbs and fuses are melting. Could be the ground and a power wire are touching from a connector breaking down.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Page: