Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

mistery black wire off of rectifier????? were it go??? PICS INCLUDED! 19 Jun 2006 20:11 #55626

• gunman
  • gunman's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Ok here is the problem. I finally got the bike running and in the midst of jumping and tuning the carbs, I noticed that when I took the power from the battery (which is bad, and wont hold a charge) the bike dies. It never did this before. So I looked around and I found this wire that comes off what I believe to be the rectifier. There is a white wire that goes directly to the positive connect on the battery. And there is a black wire that I found that I’m not sure were it goes. I believe the wire is hot and has juice going to it; I'll test it tomorrow. But it looks like a cast aluminum ear piece that it was screwed to has broken off, see pictures. Now this black wire is only about 8 inches long...So in conclusion, I'm guessing the reason that the battery is not charging has to do with this wire...now for the big question, any idea were this wire goes?????

Post edited by: gunman, at: 2006/06/20 09:26

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

mistery black wire off of rectifier????? were it go??? 19 Jun 2006 20:32 #55630

• wireman
  • Visitor
is it a groundwire?:whistle:

mistery black wire off of rectifier????? were it go??? 20 Jun 2006 06:25 #55690

• gunman
  • User
No I don't think its a ground, it seams like it should be but I'm almost certain it has juice going to it.... I'll test it in acouple hours when I get home.

mistery black wire off of rectifier????? were it go??? 20 Jun 2006 06:38 #55695

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
I think you will find that it is a ground and connects to a wire with a similar connector coming of the starter relay. Look at your starter relay and see if there isn't a black wire coming off it with a matching connector.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

mistery black wire off of rectifier????? were it go??? 20 Jun 2006 11:25 #55746

• gunman
  • User
the only thing is it doesn't have a connector on the end of it. its a broken ear off of a cast aluminum part. I have never seen this wire before, if you look closly you can see that a small bolt holds it to what ever it broke off of.

mistery black wire off of rectifier????? were it go??? 20 Jun 2006 12:35 #55767

• wireman
  • Visitor
thats probably what it was grounded to.:whistle:

mistery black wire off of rectifier????? were it go??? PICS INCLUDED! 21 Jun 2006 01:43 #55906

• gunman
  • User
well I figured out the mystery! If you look closly in the top picture, you can see were the white (+) wire runs along side the black (-) wire. well what confused me is that both of them had juice running threw them...Thats when it hit me, I opened the little clamp that holds the two together and sure enough they somehow got to hot and melted together in one small spot! I'm guessing it happend when I was jumping the bike and fooling with the bad battery. So I fixed the problem. I still don't know what that little piece broke off of, but I hooked the black wire directly to the neg battery post and it seams to work fine. I ran out of time but when I get home from work this morning, i'm going to test it and check that I can disconnect the battery and the bike still runs. Maybe that wire should be grounded to the frame somewere instead of going right to the battery post.....? Or do you think it matters?

mistery black wire off of rectifier????? were it go??? PICS INCLUDED! 21 Jun 2006 04:47 #55918

• btchalice
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
dont disconnect the battery with it running i had that groung wire come off on a 900 and it burned out the coils and all the lights, use a voltmeter
Terry Meyer / Wichita KS
76 kz900 w/1000 motor TWZTD
I am not driving too fast, I'm flying too low.

mistery black wire off of rectifier????? were it go??? PICS INCLUDED! 21 Jun 2006 05:38 #55931

• donthekawguy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
Hook it to the frame.
Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

mistery black wire off of rectifier????? were it go??? PICS INCLUDED! 21 Jun 2006 06:07 #55948

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
gunman wrote:

and sure enough they somehow got to hot and melted together in one small spot! I'm guessing it happend when I was jumping the bike and fooling with the bad battery.

Don't jump a bike from a running vehicle
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

mistery black wire off of rectifier????? were it go??? PICS INCLUDED! 21 Jun 2006 07:18 #55966

• gunman
  • User
OKC_Kent wrote:

gunman wrote:

and sure enough they somehow got to hot and melted together in one small spot! I'm guessing it happend when I was jumping the bike and fooling with the bad battery.

Don't jump a bike from a running vehicle

I didn't it was from a battery charger.....but now i'm going to aska stupid question....Since they are both 12 volts, why can I jump it using a car?

Yea I think I'm going to move to the frame....

mistery black wire off of rectifier????? were it go??? PICS INCLUDED! 21 Jun 2006 07:51 #55977

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Use the kick start before jumping from a car battery but if you really need to jump it, don't leave the cables on after the jump for any time at all as the car charging system has way too much power.

You can ground the black wire to a frame ground. I have done this in the past... I used a Suzuki solenoid on one of my bikes which didn't have the black wire coming off to hook the black wire to that you need to ground and I just grounded it to the frame.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Page: