• Page:

TOPIC:

dyna s burning out coils? 17 Jun 2006 07:49 #55127

• lemo32
  • lemo32's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • The Price of Cool aint cheap
  • Thank you received: 2
i was talking to my local bike mechanic about the dyna s and he told me that my bike would never run right, with this set up. He said that when you convert the old points set up over to electronic, the old bikes dont have a ic igniter and dont have the resistor coil needed to keep the coils from burning out at low rpms.
i have had some coil trouble and wondering if any one has had a dyna s system a long time and if they have had any trouble.
1979 kz 1000 06 katana 750

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

dyna s burning out coils? 17 Jun 2006 08:00 #55129

• ambergrismooon
  • User is blocked
My 76 900 had a Martek elec ig. since it was new. Orig owner installed. I just had a leg of it go out and replaced with a Dyna S. But it has Martek Blue Goose coils. I replaced the points on my77650 with a Dyna S about 5 years ago. And thru the years had many bikes with Dyna's I installed and some the previous owner installed and no coil failures, only replaced a rec when previous owner jumped a bike with running truck. So I can't hold with your mech.. It is one of the first things I do to a bike if it hasen't been done already. I'm just not a fan of points.

dyna s burning out coils? 17 Jun 2006 08:10 #55132

• Willo46
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Two and a half years I've no trouble with the Dyna S and its was in the bike when I got it, looked like it was in for a while already. I don't know what the coils are though, they're not the original, they're blue coated. I'll have to look later and see if there's a manufacturer printed on them.

dyna s burning out coils? 17 Jun 2006 08:32 #55139

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
  • Thank you received: 109
i was told that if you left your ignition on too long without the bike running that the coils would over heat .
76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

dyna s burning out coils? 17 Jun 2006 10:33 #55152

• lemo32
  • lemo32's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • The Price of Cool aint cheap
i just got some goodies back from an email to dyna,
trouble shooting, etc. would like to share them. It says dont leave ign, on for more than5 min it could damage coils. It also says that these units can effect voltage across the coils such as shorts across output, and
gaps between rotor and sensor.
1979 kz 1000 06 katana 750

• Page: