TOPIC:

problem w/ battery 07 Jun 2006 10:44 #52593

• steveo_4192003
  • steveo_4192003's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 77kz650b-1
  • Thank you received: 1
my battery wont hold charge when hooked to bike for more than two days
but if i hook it up it goes down to 6 volt with every thing off!
it will start and run good but if i leave it for two days it dies, then i have to charge agian!
if i run it everyday it runs good, and holds a charge.
for a few days then dies agian when i dont run it!

i did rewire the bike, so heres the diagram i used
i think somehow it draining the battery, but not sure
if you all can look at this a tell me were the problem with the wiring is or if it is ok?

maybe i have a dead cell in battery, but it worked good last year in my brothers bike!!
all help will be appreciated

Post edited by: steveo_4192003, at: 2006/06/07 13:47
1977 kz650b-1, 4-2exhaust systetm, pod filters ,jetted 112 main, 17.5 pilot
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

problem w/ battery 07 Jun 2006 20:36 #52792

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
If the battery goes to 6v, it's totally toast. Try a new battery.

If the battery voltage drops when the toggle is off, suspect the rectifier. Pull the bottom 20A fuse (the one on the white wire) and see if that fixes the drain. If so, then rectifier is toast. If that doesn't fix the drain, then you have a shorted wire to the battery positive. It's on the red wire, or white wire, or on the toggle, or on the fuse holders.

Assuming your bike is wired exactly as drawn.

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2006/06/07 23:39

problem w/ battery 07 Jun 2006 21:06 #52801

• wireman
  • Visitor
i think your using the wrong shade of green wire ,it clashes!:whistle: :woohoo: other than that the wiring looks good to me.

problem w/ battery 08 Jun 2006 06:49 #52870

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Steve - I am not the sharpest when it comes to theory but your rectifier and regulator don't look like they are hooked up correctly. In your wiring harness from the alternator, you seem to have done away with the neutral light switch and oil pressure light; both would have gone through the connector going to the regulator (they didn't actually go into the regulator)... fine so far. The green wire attached to a ground is the ground for the regulator rather than it pulling ground from the common ground. OK...

The three legs from the alternator (yellow) should be connected to the regulator as well as the green ground. Just before you connect them into the regulator, the three yellow wires should TEE and also connect into the rectifier. You should have a white wire coming out of the rectifier with a dual out with ONE wire going through a 20A fuse to the battery POS terminal and the other leg going to whatever you are using to SWITCH power (would normally be the igntion switch). I will attach a pic to illustrate.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!
Attachments:

problem w/ battery 20 Jun 2006 15:04 #55798

• steveo_4192003
  • steveo_4192003's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 77kz650b-1
  • Thank you received: 1
founde the problem! the battery has a dead cell!
so i went and got a new one and works great now, charges good while i ride and stays charged overnight!! now i can let it sit for a few days and not have to worry if it will start now!
1977 kz650b-1, 4-2exhaust systetm, pod filters ,jetted 112 main, 17.5 pilot

problem w/ battery 20 Jun 2006 19:13 #55873

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
wiredgeorge wrote:

Steve - I am not the sharpest when it comes to theory but your rectifier and regulator don't look like they are hooked up correctly. In your wiring harness from the alternator, you seem to have done away with the neutral light switch and oil pressure light; both would have gone through the connector going to the regulator (they didn't actually go into the regulator)... fine so far. The green wire attached to a ground is the ground for the regulator rather than it pulling ground from the common ground. OK...

The three legs from the alternator (yellow) should be connected to the regulator as well as the green ground. Just before you connect them into the regulator, the three yellow wires should TEE and also connect into the rectifier. You should have a white wire coming out of the rectifier with a dual out with ONE wire going through a 20A fuse to the battery POS terminal and the other leg going to whatever you are using to SWITCH power (would normally be the igntion switch). I will attach a pic to illustrate.

Wrong type charging system completely, WG!
You don't want him to melt his wiring do you? :P

By the way, Steveo's diagram looks fine.

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2006/06/20 22:18

• Page: