Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Bad rectifier... whats the chances the regulator is bad too!?!? 14 May 2006 11:22 #47184

• caffcruiser
  • caffcruiser's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Checked my rectifier. Both diodes on the center terminals (yellow 2) are shot. Pulled it out to get a better look and it's fried. :(

So I need a new rectifier.

Now, here's my question tho... what are the chances that the regulator is bad, or will go because of stress that may have been put on the charge system?

I found a custom build reg/rec unit online that has both in one plate, so if I can I'd just use that.

Would it be a waste over buying just the rec?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bad rectifier... whats the chances the regulator is bad too!?!? 14 May 2006 11:34 #47189

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
  • Thank you received: 29
Welcome to KZr caffcruiser. :)

Not knowing what year and model KZ you have, it's going to be a little difficult to tell you exactely what will and won't work for sure.
I'm thinking it's a '77 KZ650?

Regardless of that info, if you have access to a multimeter to test the regulator, that would be my first suggestion.
Also be sure to check the wiring and connectors for damage and/or wear.
Being that most of our KZ's are roughly 20 years old or older, there will be parts like wiring that just degrade over time and will need to be repaired/replaced.
Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

Bad rectifier... whats the chances the regulator is bad too!?!? 14 May 2006 11:57 #47191

• kawsakiman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
where did you find the replacement? i'm also looking for one for a 77 kz650.
someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

Bad rectifier... whats the chances the regulator is bad too!?!? 14 May 2006 15:22 #47219

• caffcruiser
  • caffcruiser's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
RetroRiceRocketRider wrote:

Welcome to KZr caffcruiser. :)

Not knowing what year and model KZ you have, it's going to be a little difficult to tell you exactely what will and won't work for sure.
I'm thinking it's a '77 KZ650?

Regardless of that info, if you have access to a multimeter to test the regulator, that would be my first suggestion.
Also be sure to check the wiring and connectors for damage and/or wear.
Being that most of our KZ's are roughly 20 years old or older, there will be parts like wiring that just degrade over time and will need to be repaired/replaced.

Yes, the bike is a 77. I believe after that they went to a completely different electrical setup?

Anyhow, the replacement is from oregonmotorcycleparts.com.

Thats the combo unit. He also sells a rectifier unit seperately.

Can you check the regulator if the rectifier is shot? I know almost nothing about electrical systems, so I'm sorry if these questions are dumb. haha

How do I check the regulator?

Post edited by: caffcruiser, at: 2006/05/14 18:24

• Page: