Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Info for speedo bulb please 13 May 2006 14:04 #47026

• gas
  • gas's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I changed out a burnt speedometer bulb with what I could find at NAPA. My original bulb is designated 12V 3.4W, from NAPA I got the designation on the bulb of 5312V1CP. No one can find the wattage for this thing, it's in and even if it's low, will be better than a dead bulb, but....... ah still has a hankerin to know. If any of you parts people or electrical gurus know the wattage, I'd appreciate the info and the next guy grabbing one of these NAPA bulbs will know what the deal is.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Info for speedo bulb please 13 May 2006 14:33 #47029

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
  • Thank you received: 7
gas wrote:

I changed out a burnt speedometer bulb with what I could find at NAPA. My original bulb is designated 12V 3.4W, from NAPA I got the designation on the bulb of 5312V1CP. No one can find the wattage for this thing, it's in and even if it's low, will be better than a dead bulb, but....... ah still has a hankerin to know. If any of you parts people or electrical gurus know the wattage, I'd appreciate the info and the next guy grabbing one of these NAPA bulbs will know what the deal is.

I, too have searched for the perfect replacement bulbs. There are alot of old threads on this topic in here and in the archives.

Here's what I got out of them: nobody is certain.

However, the bulb you speak of is commonly referred to as the "53" and has been said to have a low strength (I believe somebody posted that they are 2w), but a suitable replacement. I could not find that model, so I went with what I found at my local store - a GE 1445/BP2. They work just fine, for what it's worth.
(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

Info for speedo bulb please 13 May 2006 16:27 #47049

• gas
  • User
Thanks for the quick response. I was too lazy to do an archive hunt. I'll save this thread as that GE bulb info may come in handy one day.;)

Post edited by: gas, at: 2006/05/13 19:32

Info for speedo bulb please 13 May 2006 21:08 #47098

• gas
  • User
Just got back in from a highway night run. That NAPA speedo bulb is workable. The guage is pretty easy read at a glance, but by looking at the tach, I can tell that the speedo/tach were mean't to be brighter. I suppose it's whatever a guy is confortable with. Myself, I'd like the guages lit up light a fricken xmas tree. So if I find new 3.4's I'm switching them all for new. Oh ya, had my first deer encounter of the year tonight. I was humping into town and bambi poped out of the dark and did a run to the road, then run back to the bush deal. All I heard in my helmet was F... ME !, accompanied by a burst of forehead perspiration.:ohmy: :S

bulbs

Looks like parts unlimited carries a 3 watt.

Post edited by: gas, at: 2006/05/14 15:11

Info for speedo bulb please 14 May 2006 06:54 #47136

• DesertWizardB1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
I sure wish they would make led replacements for those bulbs. I looked all over the web and couldn't find any. My goal is to replace every bulb except the headlamp with led's. With my dyna coils and ignition plus the halogen headlamp I run I am pushing the limit of the stator winding on this 30 year old bike. When my next one burns out I might try and make my own by soldering an led and resistor in the old base.
Len

77 KZ 1000 LTD Original Owner

Info for speedo bulb please 14 May 2006 10:29 #47177

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
DesertWizardB1 wrote:

I sure wish they would make led replacements for those bulbs. I looked all over the web and couldn't find any....

Now, I have no affiliation to this company and never tried their products, but I found this while doing my own research...

autolumination.com/otherleds.htm

...click that and scroll down just about a page or so to:
"1895 ba9s bayonet base bulb = 53, 57, 182, 257, 363, 1445, 6253

BA9s 5 LED Matrix Bulbs"

EDIT: Or, about halfway down the page, :
"1895 ba9s bayonet base bulb = 53, 57, 182, 257, 363, 1445, 6253"
...these appear better focused for the dash and gauges!

Post edited by: Biquetoast, at: 2006/05/14 22:06
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

Info for speedo bulb please 14 May 2006 10:33 #47178

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
gas wrote:

...I'd like the guages lit up light a fricken xmas tree. So if I find new 3.4's I'm switching them all for new...

The 1445s I used are bright enough for me, and I'm not sure how many watts they are.

I'd be concerned if my dash/console were too bright, maybe causeing blindness to the road... and deer... I have an LED battery gauge that I had to blacken the LEDs with a Sharpie because they were too bright!

Gas, could you chop down your DennisKirk link above? It's making the page layout all goofy...
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

Info for speedo bulb please 14 May 2006 11:06 #47181

• dkmk
  • User
  • Thank you received: 18
I've noticed my gauges are not too bright either. (Kinda' like the owner :woohoo: ). Is it a big job to replace these, and how many are required? (Man, this KZ addiction is relentless. Don't just keep it running, make it run better! :lol: )
Northern Ontario
Zapp: "Kif, I'm feeling the Captain's Itch."
Kif: "I'll get the powder, sir."

Info for speedo bulb please 14 May 2006 12:18 #47192

• gas
  • User
For the bulb in the center/top of my speedometer I: Took the tiny screw out of the back of that black cup/shell holding it. Pulled the shell off. Took the cable out of the speedo. Removed two 8mm nuts and associated washers. Then pulled the speedometer toward me and pulled the bulbs rubber holder out. It is quick and simple in my lazy/cheating way. I think that you're supposed to remove the headlight shell or something because it's kind of in the way, but I just carefully angled a good tiny Phillips head in there until I could finnish unscrewing with my fingers. I was carefull and it worked well. For the "dash" lights, or lights in the plastic panel between the guages, I just have to turn the round plastic piece that holds the ignition key, by hand. Unscrew this piece off the ignition, then you can just lift the panel off.

Post edited by: gas, at: 2006/05/14 15:22

Info for speedo bulb please 14 May 2006 12:25 #47193

• gas
  • User
Biquetoast wrote:

gas wrote:

...I'd like the guages lit up light a fricken xmas tree. So if I find new 3.4's I'm switching them all for new...

The 1445s I used are bright enough for me, and I'm not sure how many watts they are.

I'd be concerned if my dash/console were too bright, maybe causeing blindness to the road... and deer... I have an LED battery gauge that I had to blacken the LEDs with a Sharpie because they were too bright!

Gas, could you chop down your DennisKirk link above? It's making the page layout all goofy...

Fixed the link, sorry. You have added some interesting info and points to consider. I will have to come back later and look at this again. Gotta go jump on the moped for a bit, it's gorgeous out!:cheer:

• Page: