Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Dyna Ignition 12 May 2006 21:33 #46930

• supablake
  • supablake's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I've got a 78 kz650d1. Kerker 4-1, Emgo Pods.
Any opinions on upgrading to a DYNA Ignition?
How far should I go? Dyna S, Coils, or The Dyna2000?
Aside from maintainence are there any performance advantanges over the stock ignition?

Blake

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dyna Ignition 12 May 2006 23:25 #46938

• 77KZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
it should give a better spark than stock, but first, have you done the WG coil powering mod in the filebase?
07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

Dyna Ignition 13 May 2006 09:15 #46979

• roy-b-boy-b
  • User
  • Thank you received: 103
Ijust recieved my dyna coils and ignition from Jeff at z1enterprises.com . I got the 2000 and the green coils. A very good price. Roy
1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

Dyna Ignition 13 May 2006 18:46 #47077

• roy-b-boy-b
  • User
  • Thank you received: 103
:woohoo:

Post edited by: roy-b-boy-b, at: 2006/05/14 08:48
1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

Dyna Ignition 15 May 2006 12:21 #47433

• MattBlack
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
So whats the best route to go, dyna S or the 2000? And what size coils for a k2650?

Dyna Ignition 15 May 2006 12:44 #47437

• rammy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
You will be more than happy with the dyna-s and the 3-ohm dyna coils(green).I did mine last year and there is no compairing it to the stock points.With the dyna-s you set it and forget about it.I makes it so much easier starting and the plugs burn alot cleaner.No high rpm miss (points bounce).B) :whistle: :laugh:
The barn yard;77 Kz650B-1 Kaw(the fun one) & 89 classic hog.
Chicago area-south burbs

Dyna Ignition 15 May 2006 12:48 #47439

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
  • Thank you received: 7
rammy wrote:

You will be more than happy with the dyna-s and the 3-ohm dyna coils(green).I did mine last year and there is no compairing it to the stock points.With the dyna-s you set it and forget about it.I makes it so much easier starting and the plugs burn alot cleaner.No high rpm miss (points bounce).B) :whistle: :laugh:

I have to say that my Dyna coil (3-ohm) was perhaps the most rewarding change I made to my bike. What a difference! Even more than the electronic ignition, since my coil was weak at best, and failing at worst....
(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

Dyna Ignition 16 May 2006 06:41 #47678

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Upgrading the entire ignition is a real good idea. The points/condsensor thing is a matter of maintenance and expense. Old coils are old coils and really may be OK or may have problems.

As far as what type ignition, the Dyna S is less expensive and complicated. It also has less features. The Dyna 2000 has a rev limiter and allows different advance curves. On a stock bike where the rider doesn't flirt with redline much, the Dyna S seems to make sense. Where compression has been bumped a bit and the bike might be otherwise pinging down the road, the rider is usually sort of heavy handed on the throttle and both a rev limiter and being able to retard the spark a bit is a GREAT and sometimes necesary feature.

WHICH ignition is best depends on what your needs are. Since I test carburetors on my KZs, I seldom take the bikes over 8K rpm and the fleet is bone stock (only airbox/pipes mods). The Dyna S is the perfect choice for me. If I had a KZ I was using as a rider and it was perhaps hopped up a bit, I might consider the additional cost of the D2K to be well worthwhile. I HAD to have one on my last Vulcan which was pretty heavily modded and would have needed octane booster or race gas without one.

Get the Dyna plug wires/caps as well... DON'T put in a new ignition using nasty old junk or buy some NGK caps which I like better than any other I have tried. Check out the coil repowering mod in the Filebase that has been suggested as a hot spark isn't possible if you don't have full voltage running to the coils.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Page: