Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Dry Cell batts and the every 48 hour jump 11 May 2006 12:25 #46635

• gmokage
  • gmokage's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Is anybody else out there running dry cells?

I'm running a 12V/1.4AMP, I believe that spec calls for 1.2 on the 81 440, and the battery seems to do pretty good for about two days and then it doesn't have enough juice for the starter to make it over.

I've checked through the charging system and I consistently measure just under spec(13.5V to 14V, so the charging system seems to be charging to almost it's full potential.

I have been trying to get the amp/volt draw that the starter uses, but can't seem to find it.I'm pretty sure that it is drawing alot, and I'm wondering if that, the minor charging issue, and a battery that isn't up to snuff could be causing this problem.

It's never died when running, I can bump start it, and the battery hasn't tested below 11.8V.

Should I just modify to put the kick starter in for this cold-hearted beast, or is there something that I am missing/doing wrong?

Thanks for you help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dry Cell batts and the every 48 hour jump 11 May 2006 13:03 #46641

• KitNYC
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
The kick-start mod is not an easy one. I had similar problems with the 440 when I first started riding; they pretty much went away when I started riding more than a couple miles a day. I forgot all about that, then had exactly the same problem with the 400. It may be that the only problem is not enough miles to recharge between hits on the starter.

HTH,
-Kit

Dry Cell batts and the every 48 hour jump 11 May 2006 13:56 #46654

• MicahMan
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
You may have a parasitic draw problem. That is to say a wire or component grounding your battery current while the bike is off. Start by visualy checking\ohm testing for frayed, damaged or coroded wires. Electric problems can be a spagetti nightmare, I know. Good luck!

• Page: