Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

major screw-up...melted wires 26 Apr 2006 20:48 #43035

• 400texan
  • 400texan's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
After my '77 KZ400 sat in hibernation during the winter, naturally the battery was dead and I decided to jump it with one of those portable battery jumpers and it worked great, she cranked right up. I turned the choke off too fast and it died so I hooked up the jumper cables again. Well... seems that I crossed the leads & hooked pos to neg & neg to pos (doh). Snap, crackle, pop go the wires and after damage control was over the white & black/yellow wires leading to the rectifier were replaced and I thought I was out of the woods. But when I hook up the battery it sparks like there is a short somewhere and the same wires rapidly heat up to near melting instantly. Is the rectifier fried or is it something further down the line? I cut the white wire that goes to the rectifier and hook up the batery and the wires do not get hot (of course nothing else happens 'cause the wire is cut). Hope this isn't too confusing.

thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

major screw-up...melted wires 26 Apr 2006 21:46 #43052

• The Milkman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 194
you are lucky the battery didn't blow up in your face when you crossed the wires. I don't have a schematic for your bike but disconnect the wires going to the alternator to see if that stops it,,, if it does pull the cover off and see what you find. I think it has a separate voltge regulator and rectifier,, you probably shorted the rectifier, check that first. And if you ever have to jump it again, use a nonrunning car and make sure you get the wires on right
Good luck.
Les
78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

major screw-up...melted wires 26 Apr 2006 23:08 #43075

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Gotta agree with Milkman, my money is on the rectifier being your new paperweight.

major screw-up...melted wires 27 Apr 2006 08:56 #43146

• 400texan
  • 400texan's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
thx guys. I'll give it a shot. And your right, I have a friend who has facial scars and damaged vision from his car battery exploding while jumping it. stupid is as stupid does (whatever that means). I'll take your advise on the non-runnig car thing and I might even check the polarity next time. Fortunately I can laugh about it this time.

ride on

• Page: