Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

dyna, regulator woes. 23 Apr 2006 22:26 #42038

• Mark Whiddon
  • Mark Whiddon's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I have an 1980 kz750 H model (at least it used to be) I chopped it and it is nothing like stock. That said I have removed everything using elect accept the headlight, tail light, starter and dyna-coil stuff. My ignition switch is now a 3 pos car type switch (B=battery, I=ignition,S=starter lugs on the back of the switch). approx 8-9 months or so I replaced the regulator, ignition/coils were replaced with dyna ign. and dyna coils. I have just fried both the ignition and regulator(at least I think I have fried the reg). It starts and itermitantly will quit firing on one of the pickups(it seems to do it when it warms up or when it revs up) it will start working again when the RPMs drop down or when it is cooled off but not all the time. My regulator does not seem to be kicking it down any. Reved up (with the head lights off for testing) I was hitting 14.68 volts (at around 5K rpm). My regulator has the ground wire 14 ga going directly to the batt neg terminal and the brn wire going to the ignition on the switch. The single big wht/red wire is going to the starter solenoid. I have the coils, and dyna both powered off the ignition switch. A friend told me I could at least put a resistor between the ignition and the dyna to keep that from blowing (which size resister ?) but what do I need to do to keep it from charging so high? I am sorry if this sounds confusing but since it is not a stock bike there are some differences in it. What does the brown wire off the reg, go to and is this part of the problem with the over charging. Also would a relay of some kind do anything? Thanks Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

dyna, regulator woes. 24 Apr 2006 06:35 #42105

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
The brown wire on the regulator controls the regulator. If you leave it disconnected, it will fry the electricals.

The brown wire should get its power from the same place the Dyna ignition gets its power (after the ignition switch).

14.68 volts is not too high, but if the regulator's brown wire is disconnected, it probably goes much higher.

dyna, regulator woes. 24 Apr 2006 12:25 #42216

• MattBlack
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Mark Whiddon wrote:

I have an 1980 kz750 H model (at least it used to be) I chopped it and it is nothing like stock.

Photos please. :whistle:

• Page: