Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

relay mod.need help please 23 Apr 2006 15:45 #41902

• mustache
  • mustache's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
its a 1978 kz650b..fowling plugs out so i thought i would try the coil relay mod..i thought i followed the instructions but i must not have.when i hooked it all up and connected the battery my oil and neutral light came on with the key off..i used 85 on relay for ground.lug 30 with the inline fuse to starter selonid.i found the yellow red wire that goes into the two wires that goes to the coils..i cut the one yellow red wire and spliced a wire to it and ran it back to lug 86 on relay.then ran a wire from lug 87 to the two wires going to the coils...if someone could tell me where i went wrong i would appreciate it..thanks...mustache

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

relay mod.need help please 23 Apr 2006 17:32 #41931

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
  • Thank you received: 7
Well, that all sounds correct.

I assume you're working from the document authored by WiredGeorge here in the filebase.

Does the problem neutral light go away when the relay is disconnected? Want to eliminate red herrings.

Also, you might want to run a different ground just to be sure. You nicely explained where everything runs to except the ground, so that's the only thing that I can guess...
(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

relay mod.need help please 23 Apr 2006 17:38 #41935

• mustache
  • User
its grounded to a bolt going to the frame..i have done some more reading and am real confused now..LOL..two different poast said that lug 86 goes to one coil and lug 87 goes to the other coil..lug 86&87 going to red yellow wire is where i'm confused at..thanks for your help...mustache

relay mod.need help please 23 Apr 2006 17:48 #41937

• Nevco48
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
I'm no electrical genius (or any kind of genius) but I did WG's coil mod last month. Does the relay 'click' when you turn the key on? That would indicate it is getting power to it and the ground is OK. Also, check every last connection you can find in the harness. I had a "gremlin" that was killing the bike intermitantly; I got lucky and found a loose push-in connector under the tank that would lose contact when I turned the bars.
Good Luck!

relay mod.need help please 23 Apr 2006 17:58 #41940

• Nevco48
  • User
mustache wrote:

its grounded to a bolt going to the frame..i have done some more reading and am real confused now..LOL..two different poast said that lug 86 goes to one coil and lug 87 goes to the other coil..lug 86&87 going to red yellow wire is where i'm confused at..thanks for your help...mustache

Only one wire going to coils from relay. Think of it this way- the R/Y wire that DID feed the coils NOW simply runs an electrically activated switch. If you hook up that R/Y wire to #86 and a good ground to # 85, you should hear it click on when you turn the key. Now, your good, strong, (and fused) power goes to #30, through that switch, out through #87, and off to your coils Does that help a little?

relay mod.need help please 23 Apr 2006 18:16 #41944

• mustache
  • User
ok here is what i have....87 is going to the red/yellow wire that did go to the coils..86 is going to both coils..30 goes to inline fuse and then to selonid and 85 goes to ground...i put the positive battery cable on battery and oil & neutral light comes on with key off..that is puzzling to me..thanks for all the help..nustache

relay mod.need help please 23 Apr 2006 18:53 #41955

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
mustache wrote:

ok here is what i have....87 is going to the red/yellow wire that did go to the coils..86 is going to both coils..30 goes to inline fuse and then to selonid and 85 goes to ground...i put the positive battery cable on battery and oil & neutral light comes on with key off..that is puzzling to me..thanks for all the help..nustache

WHOA!! You have 87 and 86 backwards! I misunderstood your original post, sorry!

See this: biquetoast.com/coil_relay.pdf

87 goes to the coil.
86 goes to the the red/yellow the *did* go to the coil.
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

relay mod.need help please 23 Apr 2006 18:58 #41956

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
mustache wrote:

..two different poast said that lug 86 goes to one coil and lug 87 goes to the other coil..

I think you mean the guys who have a 87a as well as the 87 on the relay. The 87a is powered the same as 87, it is just a seprate lug. Some relays have 'em, some don't.

I have one of those that has an 87a and I used it to power my Newtronic electronic ignition...

When 86 recieves power, it triggers the relay to connect the incoming power from 30 to 87 (and 87a). 86 is nothing but a trigger. The *real* power comes from 30.
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

relay mod.need help please 23 Apr 2006 19:18 #41966

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 376
You will here a click when you turn on the key and then turn your kill switch on.

Here's a Diagram:

Post edited by: rstnick, at: 2006/04/23 22:19
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

relay mod.need help please 23 Apr 2006 19:20 #41971

• Nevco48
  • User
Biquetoast wrote:

mustache wrote:

WHOA!! You have 87 and 86 backwards! I misunderstood your original post, sorry!

See this: biquetoast.com/coil_relay.pdf

87 goes to the coil.
86 goes to the the red/yellow the *did* go to the coil.

Mustache might have swapped those two lugs, but I can't figure out how that would turn on his idiot lights on the dash?

relay mod.need help please 24 Apr 2006 13:44 #42246

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
I think the idiots lights work when the power that goes to the switches that control them are grounded. At least, that is the way the neutral light works. I think the #85 thing must have been presenting a ground to the idiot lights... dunno for sure. I am also not sure why various versions (according to him) of the relay stuff are floating around. I may put ONE good copy on on my web site if that is the case and see if I can get the ones floating blown away. The basic wiring diagram should have been the same.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

relay mod.need help please 24 Apr 2006 13:48 #42248

• mustache
  • User
i appreciate all the input from everyone and want to appologise for not giving enough info last night.i didn'y think of it till today at work..ok on my control on the right handle bar..when i got the bike it was like this just hadn't got around to getting another control..nothing in there is hooked up.there is a external push button starter to start it.nothing else in there.
i just now wired the relay up this way.lug 86 i found a wire that had 12v with the key on. 87 going to coils i had to put the old red yellow wire on there to to make it run...it had never run this smooth since i have had it..i will find another control and wire everything up again...thanks for all the help..mustache

• Page: