Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Dyna S timing issues w/base plate 20 Apr 2006 19:53 #41281

• Toonces
  • Toonces's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I installed a Dyna S on a KZ650. I found the base plate had the three mounting/adjusting holes all out of whack. To get the timing even close, the plate had to be turned clockwise as far as it would go and the two pick ups had to be moved to their full clockwise position. This brought the timing very close but just didn’t make it all the way. Two of the three slots in the base plate were not letting the plate move far enough. I ended up using a Dremel tool to lengthen the adjustment slots.

Is this just sloppy quality control on Dynas part or is something wrong with the bike?
Perhaps I’ve done something wrong with the installation.
And, now the advanced timing marks aren’t coming into the full advancement position either.

What’s up with this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dyna S timing issues w/base plate 20 Apr 2006 21:58 #41305

• modprod
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
The problem is most likely your advance mechanism. Either the springs are shot or the unit is sticking advanced. More than likely it is already advanced and you are trying to bring it to the F mark with the slot adjustments. When you do this by elongating your slots and get the F to come in then with the advance unit already advanced it has nowhere to go to ever reach the full advance mark. I'd bet if you fix your advance unit you'll find there was already enough adjustment.

Dyna S timing issues w/base plate 21 Apr 2006 06:23 #41367

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
I have installed dozens of Dyna S units and never had one where I couldn't get the 1/4 timing set using the available slots... If I had this problem, I would try and loosen the mounting allen bolts for the LEFT (1/4) pickup and would rotate it in the direction the plate was rotated to gain some additional adjustment. I don't see how Dyna can accurately set the pickups at the factory and believe they just mount them more or less in the middle of their range of positions. Once the 1/4 is set, you move the mounts for the 2/3 pickup and reposition it to tune it.

I don't think this issue is an advance mechanism problem. Of course, you should clean and lube the advance when sliding on the new Dyna rotor piece but the advance is fixed in position by the locating crankshaft compression pin it is hung on... be careful with the springs because if you pull them, they won't return as they only are meant to work one way.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Dyna S timing issues w/base plate 21 Apr 2006 07:00 #41392

• rammy
  • User
I was having the same problem when I installed the dyna-s on mine to.What I found was that the locator pin in the crank for the advancer was partly sheared and the advancer had moved.After fixing that problem I was ble to mount the plate in the center of the mounting hole adjuse the pick-up coils staticly then adjust as needed with timing light.But as said before make sure that the advance weights are not stuck in the advanced position.

Goodluck
The barn yard;77 Kz650B-1 Kaw(the fun one) & 89 classic hog.
Chicago area-south burbs

Dyna S timing issues w/base plate 21 Apr 2006 08:54 #41414

• Sleepy
  • User
Dynatek does sync the left / right pickups so in theory you only have to move the backplate to set the timing. That's a nice theory - I always check both sides.
kz650 gs750 cb750

Dyna S timing issues w/base plate 22 Apr 2006 16:00 #41702

• Toonces
  • Toonces's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
When I install the Dyna ignition I cleaned up the advancer unit and made sure that is worked smoothly. What I didn’t do was to check the weights and springs. You were right. I took another advancer unit off a spare motor and it was in much better condition. The small rubber pads were in primo shape and best of all the springs were in MUCH better shape. The old unit has sloppy springs and was letting the unit advance itself at idle speed. I put the spare advancer in and it works great now.

You guys rock….. Thanks a bunch!

Dyna S timing issues w/base plate 23 Apr 2006 15:52 #41904

• modprod
  • User
Great Toonces. It's nice when you have a good spare. The springs being sacked is a very common problem with our old Z/KZs after awhile. I frequently time to full advance anyway because our engines run most of the time fully advanced anyway and that's where it's "most" important for the timing to be spot-on....mod

• Page: