Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Legalities of changing lights 08 Apr 2006 05:56 #37780

• ratmeister
  • ratmeister's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi all, I am going to build a fender eliminator for my 77 650. Are there any special precautions I should take to not annow the local cops? Do brake lights have to face the back or can they be on the top of a fender? Is there a set distance between turn signals?

I know newer bikes have kits that put all the lights into one unit in the middle. Is that legal or do the cops just let it slide?

Any info will be helpful...Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Legalities of changing lights 08 Apr 2006 06:06 #37784

• indykaw77
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
I asked about the same thing here awhile back...."Most" states require indicators to be visible up to "x" feet away, and Indiana says front turn signals should be mounted "as far as is practical" on either side of headlite.
If I can find my post and replies re: this subject will post for ya. WIll be later tonite tho as I gotta drive thru GA into FL....man, sure got some weather down thru here last nite.(Sorry about subject change....)
Kawasaki Motorcycles...because cars lean th wrong way!

Legalities of changing lights 08 Apr 2006 06:08 #37785

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
Where are you gonna be in GA?

Legalities of changing lights 08 Apr 2006 06:17 #37794

• indykaw77
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Am leaving Macon in just couple minutes....southbound on 75. Time now 0920. Should be back thru Atlanta Mon, NO..Tuesday afternoon, or evening....depending on traffic/weather/etc.....

Post edited by: indykaw77, at: 2006/04/08 09:19

Post edited by: indykaw77, at: 2006/04/08 09:20
Kawasaki Motorcycles...because cars lean th wrong way!

Legalities of changing lights 08 Apr 2006 07:56 #37809

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
Here is the thread about the lights Lights Discussion
Indykaw77, you left just in time, it's 37 degrees here at the moment (73 yesterday) :(

Post edited by: steell, at: 2006/04/08 10:57
KD9JUR

Legalities of changing lights 08 Apr 2006 10:59 #37842

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
indykaw77 wrote:

Am leaving Macon in just couple minutes....southbound on 75. Time now 0920. Should be back thru Atlanta Mon, NO..Tuesday afternoon, or evening....depending on traffic/weather/etc.....

Well if you're gonna be spending the night near downtown ATL, we have a small
gang that meets on Tuesdays for beer and dinner. Sometimes we do team
trivia but ususlaly just BS. You're more than welcome to join us.
Marty has PC800, 75 duc 750SS and GB500, Ed has XS650, I may ride the FT500
if I get the darn fork tube fixed. I spend much more time hunting parts and
turnign wrench than riding ;-) Rest of the guys are computer or engineer.
We started meeting over Linux interests som 8-10 years ago.

404-822-8255 we usually meet around 7-7:30 and cheap beer/food is the order of the day.

Legalities of changing lights 08 Apr 2006 13:20 #37870

• Sputnic81
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I always like to throw in a Law Enforcement opinion on these posts. So...in Missouri (especially Lee's Summit, MO) turn signal lights are not even required on a motorcycle (I'm sure this varies by state). Hand signals are sufficient during daylight hours. If lights are used though the only requirement is that the lens be marked DOT approved. Also the light must be amber or white in the front and red or amber in the rear. Any other colors (esp red and blue) are a violation.

Also it is going to depend greatly on who pulls you over. I know some our traffic cops (Nazi's that they are) have been known to check helmets for safety approval stickers. I work patrol and therefor I figure if the light is there, the right color (approximately) and you are using it I am happy.

As far as problems with accidents go (someone mentioned of you get hit and comes out that your signals are not properly approved) Scheister attorney's have gotten cases through court on less. I once had a judge rule that my opinion as to why the person deserved a ticket was irrelevant when considering why I wrote the ticket...go figure.

There are numerous lights out there that are approved for highway use (DOT approved) and consist of only two or three ultra-bright LED's. As long as you have the approval you should be good to go.

Just my $.02 on the issue.

Legalities of changing lights 08 Apr 2006 21:29 #37961

• Fossil
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
I got a bit worried about the legalities and possible insurance problems using aftermaket signals so I picked some fairly small legal (SAE on the lens), halogen signals off ebay. My taillight is an E marked European legal 20 LED unit. I figure it's legal in Europe, it might be slip through the cracks here. I did buy a set of E marked signals, but they're tiny and I figured I'ld be pushing my luck.

• Page: