Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Tale of the Yellow Wire & Rectifier... 05 Apr 2006 17:51 #37041

• skippr76KZ
  • skippr76KZ's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
My subject titles are getting really cheesey - sorry. But I hope it draws attention. Attached is a pic of 4 yellow wires (and a white wire). Somehow the yellow wires - unceremoniously got jerked from the connector (2nd from the left -still plugged in)....The question is, does it matter which of those yellow wires goes where in the Connector? I take it these are the stator connections? And what about that suspicious looking white wire? What might he be to? If someone could point me in the right direction I would be greatful. :P Again, I sound like a broken record, but all this stuff was removed a few years back and not documented. For better or for worse, it is now in the hands of a rookie wrencher!

Post edited by: steell, at: 2006/04/05 23:55
1976 KZ900LTD Fully Restored
2000 Vulcan FI Classic
1998 Ducati ST2, Gone
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Tale of the Yellow Wire & Rectifier... 05 Apr 2006 21:00 #37118

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
I shrunk your pic a little as it was screwing up the format.

Three yellow wires go to the stator, and the white wire may go to the energizing coil (for lack of a better name) depending on which charging system you have. Maybe someone has a wiring diagram they can post here, but you really should buy a manual.

Wish I could be of more assistance :)
KD9JUR

Tale of the Yellow Wire & Rectifier... 05 Apr 2006 21:30 #37127

• wireman
  • Visitor
i seem to remember try to look that up before someone but the wiring diagragm wasnt really specific to which way they go.skip pm me your adress again,ive got something here that might help ya out.:whistle:

Tale of the Yellow Wire & Rectifier... 05 Apr 2006 21:32 #37129

• savedrider
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
Sorry to stray off topic here, but if I'm looking at that pic correctly your electrical panel is on the left side of the bike. When did that change go into effect?
Get right or get left! <*{{{><

Tale of the Yellow Wire &amp; Rectifier... 05 Apr 2006 21:40 #37130

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
  • Thank you received: 13
I've got a nice 900 wiring diagram...IN COLOUR!LOL...let Me know if You want a copy of it.I think it's about 150kb's...
1977 KZ1000 A-1

Tale of the Yellow Wire &amp; Rectifier... 06 Apr 2006 00:26 #37158

• KitNYC
  • User
Light yellow goes up top, medium yellow is bottom left, & dark yellow is bottom right. Hope they haven't faded over time... :blink: ;) :P

Seriously, someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the yellow wires are interchangeable. That's why they're all the same color.

HTH,
-Kit

Tale of the Yellow Wire &amp; Rectifier... 06 Apr 2006 05:53 #37187

• skippr76KZ
  • User
Thanks guys and thanks steell for letting me know about the picture format. I like to post pics and will make sure they're the right size from this point on. Thanks for the offer of the wiring diagrams. I have the bike's service manual (first thing I bought for the restoration) I just couldn't tell by the 2-D diagram which wire went where in the connector. I think KitNYC may be on to something as it may not matter - which is why I thought maybe someone would know for sure. 3 of those yellow wires are bundled together from the rectifier - they're probably the stator wires. If you'll look, there's also a 4th yellow wire coming from the rectifier area. Not sure what that one's about. It goes into the connecter also - it would seem. The metal connecting piece from inside the connector is still on that wire. I'll keep studying the wiring diagram. :)
2000 Vulcan FI Classic
1998 Ducati ST2, Gone

Tale of the Yellow Wire &amp; Rectifier... 06 Apr 2006 09:16 #37220

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Skip, Hold your water hoss! When I get done eating my meatloaf sandwhich, I will pull the plug on one of my 76s and tell you how to repin. It doesn't matter which yellow wire goes to which pin as they all carry the same AC BUT it does matter where the pin actually goes in the plug.

The 76 wiring harness is a bit different than the 75... the 76 panel is on the left PROBABLY (theory time) because Kaw intro'd the rear disk brake which means the master cylinder is over on the right AND the battery would now have to be pulled out from the top as the master cylinder is in the way. They only did the rear disk on the LTD model but I suspect they moved the panel to accomodate future rear disk applications on all models... just a theory!

UPDATED INFO! (sandwich eaten and wiring checked)

OK, Skip, the three yellow wires... doesn't matter which goes where on the plug but as you view the plug in your picture, the plug is divided into 6 cells. Two on each tier. Two yellows on top in cell 1 and 2. Third yellow goes into middle tier on right (cell 2).

The white wire... OK... in the pic, see the dual out connector on the white wire to the right? The white wire with no connector plugs in there. You will need to install a connector on it.

Once you put your plastic fuse box on, you will note there is a white/red wire coming out. It ALSO plugs into this dual connector. These wires lay on top of the junction box. I think there is a clip.

Last... thre will be a WHITE wire coming out the fuse box, it wraps BEHIND the junction box where it plugs into a SINGLE CONNECTOR with a black wire attached.

I attached your picture with the wires marked up. It is hard to see the "cells" on the white connector but you basically plug the yellows in both cells on the top and the middle right.

Post edited by: wiredgeorge, at: 2006/04/06 13:14
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!
Attachments:

Tale of the Yellow Wire &amp; Rectifier... 06 Apr 2006 10:16 #37231

• wiredgeorge
  • User
Having problems attaching pic...
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!
Attachments:

Tale of the Yellow Wire &amp; Rectifier... 06 Apr 2006 10:34 #37235

• skippr76KZ
  • User
Wiredgeorge, I am truly humbled to be in your Forum Presence - oh great master mechanic! (But then again, everyone is a master compared to me) Thanks for the illustrations on the photo as well. I will get right on those tonight when I get back from this thing I do during the day to make money so I can spend it on this project that all of you have so generously helped me with. :P
2000 Vulcan FI Classic
1998 Ducati ST2, Gone

Tale of the Yellow Wire &amp; Rectifier... 06 Apr 2006 18:27 #37394

• wiredgeorge
  • User
Lordy... it do get deep! bwhahaha

Skip, if you need a quick answer to anything, drop in on my web site. I look in there several times a day and try to confine my KZr looks to once a day. I am now getting sooooo many emails and phone calls requesting tech help, I started a carb tech forum on my web site... That is one of the reasons I don't answer as many questions on this board as I was able to... I am struggling to keep up on my work. It has been a busy spring. I am going to be getting a larger building either tomorrow or Saturday as I am so totally out of storage space I am tripping on junk all day! Cheers.
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Tale of the Yellow Wire &amp; Rectifier... 06 Apr 2006 18:53 #37408

• skippr76KZ
  • User
I wondered where you were at these days. I noticed the drop off some. My stator (yellow wire) connector that's washed out in the photo was pretty well shot and very brittle when I removed it. Know a good connector resource that might have those type of connectors for sale?
2000 Vulcan FI Classic
1998 Ducati ST2, Gone

• Page: