Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Charging problem and rewiring of a ZN1100 31 Mar 2006 21:07 #35871

• Mr_Green.com
  • Mr_Green.com's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
My ZN1100 has a charging problem, but I don't really know where to go from there. The manual says something about testing the alternator, but I can't find it and it seems from what I've been reading that it's actually a "regulator".

I also want to rewire the bike as the former owner added blinkers from two different trucks and an added ferring, etc. and it has odd electrical problems. Unfortunately, the manual I have is missing the wiring diagram for my model.

I really have no idea what I'm doing, but I'm trying to learn about my bike and get it running again. I would appreciate any help you all can offer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Charging problem and rewiring of a ZN1100 03 Apr 2006 11:37 #36445

• Rickman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
For the charging check the "Electrical Questions.." thread, there is a full-on charging system diagnosis going on in there.

Alternator/generator is on the left side of the crankshaft; magnets moving near coils of wire generate an alternating current (AC). regulator is the big electrical parts you find when you follow the 3 wires from the alternator, it turns the variable voltage AC to 12-14 volts DC.

Sounds like you want to "un-rewire" it to get rid of those truck blinkers. which manual was that you're working from? My FSM has data about the ZN in an appendix.
1983 KZ1100-L1 "LTD Shaft"
Wiseco 10.5:1 1171 piston kit, bored by APE
Dyna 2000, Dyna S, Dyna grey coils, WG coil power mod, CB900 starter

Charging problem and rewiring of a ZN1100 03 Apr 2006 14:04 #36473

• Mr_Green.com
  • Mr_Green.com's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for the advice! I'll take a look at that post your talking about and hopefully pick something up. When I checked before for posts, they just ended up confusing me more. I'm trying to learn this stuff , but it's not coming easy. :blush:

I don't really want to get rid of the truck blinkers. I just think when the previous owner added all that, he did some funky stuff. My hazard lights only light up one blinker and sometimes when one blinker is on, the other one will light up too. I've already fixed a wire that shorted out and I'd rather just start over and do it right.

I have an old Clymer manual which includes my bike, but for some reason it doesn't have the wiring diagram for my bike in the back with the rest of them. I'm thinking it must have been pulled out at some point (it came with the bike). I don't really want to buy another manual just for that diagram, though. I don't really like that manual much anyway. I thought maybe there was a place online I could print one out, or possibly there is a better manual that wouldn't cost me too much. What is an FSM?

Charging problem and rewiring of a ZN1100 05 Apr 2006 11:00 #36935

• Rickman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
FSM: Flying Spaghetti Monster. No wait, Factory Service Manual. From KHI. Oh, Sorry, Kawasaki Heavy Industries. I got mine Ebay, about twenty bucks.

Yeah I don't like the Clymer much either. The FSM is more detailed, but a much drier read. Between the two of them I can figure out pretty much everything.

cheers,
Ricky
1983 KZ1100-L1 "LTD Shaft"
Wiseco 10.5:1 1171 piston kit, bored by APE
Dyna 2000, Dyna S, Dyna grey coils, WG coil power mod, CB900 starter

• Page: