Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KZ440 wiring harness in headlight 27 Mar 2006 09:11 #34675

• kawazacky
  • kawazacky's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
My 1981 KZ440 LTD had a chipped plastic headlight bucket, which I replaced with a chrome headlight bucket off an older model. However, some of the wires seem to have unplugged when I was doing this, and I'd like some information.

1) What does the headlight's ground wire plug into? The ground for the right signal light? because there is a black wire (male connector) unplugged coming from that light.

2). Are there any wires usually left unplugged in the headlight bucket that power electrical accessories? There is a black and yellow female plug with a dual connector on the end hanging loose in there. As well, there is a set of two black and yellow wires leading into one male connector. Should THAT be plugged into the ground on the headlight as well?

3).There is a red/black male connector flapping around in there. (One of the black/red wires going into the headlight's plug has an empty slot in the dual connector. Is that where this belongs?)

4). The left side signal lights both come on but do not blink. The rear right signal light comes on but doesn't blink. The front one does not come on. Any ideas?

5). The headlight does not come on, but I assume this is because it is not grounded.

Anything anyone could tell me would be of great help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ440 wiring harness in headlight 27 Mar 2006 10:00 #34688

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
You might want to take a look at the wiring diagram available at the world famous www.kz400.com and the diagram is located HERE
KD9JUR

KZ440 wiring harness in headlight 27 Mar 2006 11:09 #34698

• kawazacky
  • kawazacky's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
Thanks....

KZ440 wiring harness in headlight 27 Mar 2006 11:21 #34699

• MattBlack
  • User
I have a 650 and I'm doing the same thing - replacing the stocker with a simple chrome 5.5". When I took off the stocker, there were a few connections in there that weren't hooked up to anything. Then again, the guy who owned the bike before me also had speaker wire for his battery terminal connections. :lol:

But all the lighting did work before I stripped it down.

My only hurdle when I get it all back together is what to do with all that harness stuff once I get the new headlight since it was all tucked into the back of the stock light before - not sure if it will do this on the new one or not?

• Page: