Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

coil mod question 25 Mar 2006 15:05 #34235

• Scotty355
  • Scotty355's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I am doing the coil mod on my 80 750 ltd and would just like to verify a few things before I go cutting wires.

1. on my wiring diagram it looks like the red/yellow wire from the kill switch also powers the cdi unit, should i just tap into this wire to trigger the relay yet still allow it to power the ignition?

2.there is no splitting connector powering the coils, only 2 red wires comming directly out of harness, will it hurt anything if I didn't use these and just ran a differant wire from the relay to the coils?

Thx Scott

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

coil mod question 25 Mar 2006 16:20 #34253

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
  • Thank you received: 7
1. Well, one of the points of doing the coil mod is to get as pure a power feed as possible. This avoids failing connections and weaknesses in the harness. I went straight from the starter relay nut just like George noted in the instructions.

2. There may not be a splitter in the existing connection, you just cut. The idea is that the previously-existing coil wire becomes the *trigger* into the new relay. And, going *out* of the relay, the old wire can still be used to power the coil *from* the relay. If you don't like the state of that wire, you should definately run a new one.

3. I hope this helps...
(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

coil mod question 25 Mar 2006 16:21 #34255

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
The "CDI" unit is really a transistorized ignitor. It does not need very much power so you don't really need to have it running through the relay. You can use that line to operate the relay as you said. The ignitor DOES need a good ground, though.

coil mod question 25 Mar 2006 17:47 #34278

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 376

there is no splitting connector powering the coils, only 2 red wires comming directly out of harness

If you had to replace the coils, would you need to cut these 2 wires? I find it hard to believe Kawi would hard wire the coils, with no plugs.

When I did my wiring mod, I did not need to cut any stock wires. The coils each were plugged into the same dual female connector, on the red/yellow wire. I unplugged these, ran a wire from the dual female plug to the relay as the trigger to lug 86. Then from lug 87 back to the coils, adding a new dual female plug. Then to lug 36, a wire with fuse from the Starter relay and a ground wire from lug 85, which I added to the black/yellow wire off the battery negative terminal.
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s
Attachments:

coil mod question 25 Mar 2006 17:55 #34283

• Scotty355
  • User
The wires that go to the coils unplug directly at the coils there is no dual plug that splits the power to the coils,(at least not that i can see I didn't unwrap the harness)

coil mod question 25 Mar 2006 18:05 #34288

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 376
Un plug these two coil conections, run one back to the relay, then back to the coils from the relay with two plugs like the ones you unplugged from the coils to start.
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

coil mod question 26 Mar 2006 08:33 #34406

• Scotty355
  • User
Thx everyone for the help, I ran the wires like rstnick said and everything works great I have approx 1 more volt going to the coils now than before and startup is alot quicker, I haven't taken it on the road yet but it seems to run smoother at the higher rpms.
thanks again Scott

P.S. Made my donation to the website fund, it is worth it just for the filebase alone not including the help you get here, and hope all of us can keep it going.

coil mod question 26 Mar 2006 08:39 #34407

• Scotty355
  • User
just a pic of the bike

Attachments:

• Page: