Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

E marked lights and signals 21 Mar 2006 20:45 #33269

• Fossil
  • Fossil's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Wondering if aftermarket E marked taillights and turn signals would be considered legal where DOT/SAE lights are required. The fact that they are usually superior to original DOT equipment and the fact that they are European legal, I would hope they would be considered acceptable in North America (in my case, Ontario Canada). I've bought emarked LED signals, and an E marked LED taillight and don't want to run into any legal/insurance problems. Another post here got me rethinking this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

E marked lights and signals 21 Mar 2006 22:51 #33287

• 77KZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
I cant see a problem with using them if they are better, even if they arent DOT/SAE, but someone thats out to try and give you a fine might point it out, but I dont think I would worry too much. I mean if they work better than stock, any officer with any common sense wouldnt have a problem I think.
Scott
07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

E marked lights and signals 22 Mar 2006 06:37 #33337

• rammy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Most cops in this area dont even care about turn signals for some reason.As long as you have a good functioning headlight and brake light you are all good.My feeling is the brighter the better if you have LED lights that are not DOT approved and are brighter than the DOT approved I would not worry and use them.But that is my $.02 worth in US $$$
The barn yard;77 Kz650B-1 Kaw(the fun one) & 89 classic hog.
Chicago area-south burbs

E marked lights and signals 23 Mar 2006 19:34 #33878

• Sputnic81
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I am not Canadian but I am a cop so take this with a grain of salt. I know that as far as I am concerned of taillights are red and functioning, turn signals are red or amber and funtioning then I could care less if they have the right governmental bureaucracy approval stamped on to them. However some of the "Traffic-nazi's" that I work with might burn you a ticket if you pissed them off. Would not stop me from using them though. LED systems look better and I think are safer. My department has started using LED's in our light packages on patrol vehicles because they are "superior in output and visibility." Can't argue with that. I plan to upgrade to LED lights all the way around next winter. Need a good season of riding first. Good luck.

E marked lights and signals 23 Mar 2006 20:13 #33888

• Fossil
  • Fossil's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Well, I chickened out today and bought another set of custom signals off ebay that are claimed to be 100% legal with SAE on the lense. My headlights are DOT, now my signals too, just my LED taillight to be concerned with. Think I know a way around it though - I'm going to mount a tiny DOT taillight off a '70s Enduro bike or moped below the license plate, that way, I do have a DOT taillight if it's ever questioned. What got me really concerned was a string in chit chat that talked about insurance companies not paying out if non DOT equipment is involved in an accident. Just don't need that on my mind.
Thanks for the responses.

• Page: