Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Fuses, Blinkers, and Dogs 15 Mar 2006 09:14 #31332

• Ridge Runner
  • Ridge Runner's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I wiped out on my 1979 KZ400H LTD last August when an unfortunate Beagle and I had a close encounter of the crash and burn kind. The bike came through better then I, and certainly better then the dog which assumed room temperature.

The RH side of the bike took the brunt of the hit. Bent fork, snapped turn signal stems, and shattered headlight. The exhaust got scraped pretty hard as did the foot brake lever and a few other odds and ends.

After some repairs I took her out for a spin just this last weekend and she ran great. Problem is, the headlight bulb finally feel out (Yes, amazingly, the light still worked even with a shattered lens and smashed case) and when it did, my freshly installed turn signals (stems, bulbs, lens, etc) stopped working completely. Both sides. The indicator lamp on the tree doesn't even come on.

My plan is to try a new flasher and check to see that I'm getting voltage where I should be getting voltage, which brings me to my slightly embarrassing question and reason for this message: where the bloody hell are the fuses? I have a Clymer manual and it doesn't specify. I called myself looking under the left side cover but I didn't see anything there that looked like a fuse box.

It's got to have fuses, right? Does the headlight have to be functional for the signals to work? I couldn't make a whole lot of sense out of the schematic.

I've got a replacement aftermarket halogen headlight assembly on the way from Candlepower in Canada thanks to the info I read in other forums from here. Great websight by the way. I'd like to get this turn signal problem resolved and I'm sure some of you sages out there know the skinny. I look forward to rour replies.

Ride safe!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Fuses, Blinkers, and Dogs 15 Mar 2006 09:24 #31335

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
The fuses on my 650 were under the right side cover, in a little black box, maybe yours are too.

Check out this website, all you need to know about 400/440's
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

Fuses, Blinkers, and Dogs 15 Mar 2006 11:22 #31368

• Ridge Runner
  • User
Thanks Kent. I had forgotten about that sight. I'll check it out.

Fuses, Blinkers, and Dogs 15 Mar 2006 14:42 #31410

• BSKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
what about the ground leads on the turn signals, did they get damaged
77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

Fuses, Blinkers, and Dogs 16 Mar 2006 10:57 #31714

• BARNEYHYPHEN
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
RR, Very sorry to hear of your close encounter of the dog kind. Just a thought on the fuse box front but if you get a spare hour I would suggest cutting out the fuse box and soldering in some nice new rubber encased spade fuse holders. Worked an absolute treat for me. Used to go through a fuse every 10 days with the old box but have not blown one since doing the mod.

Fuses, Blinkers, and Dogs 16 Mar 2006 11:42 #31725

• Ridge Runner
  • User
Thanks BarneyH. It weren't no fun. My KZ came through pretty good considering.

I posted earlier but the message vanished. I'm new to all this so there's no telling what happened.

To recap, I located the fuse block last night and nothing was blown. With the key "on" and blinker switch on the RH side, I checked voltage at the flasher. One side was hot and the other not so I jumpered across across the blades and wonder of wonders, the RH signal lights came on. I had just replaced that flasher prior to the accident with an automotive 552 "standard" flasher so not sure why it fried so quick. Will replace it with a solid-state unit and see what happens.

I hear you about the blade type fuses. I am a purchasing agent for a program that operates a fleet of 4X4 vehicles and Kawasaki Mules. We reguliarly add our own fuse blocks and splice together in-line fuse holders to operate radios and GPS units. I haven't blown a fuse yet on my bike but if that sort of trouble starts I will certainly take your advice.

My litle 400 had only 5000 actual miles on it when I purchased it for 5 bills in 2004. Well maintained during that 5000 too. It has just over 14000 on it now. I am the third owner and it's been garage kept. She really and truly looks (looked) like a new one. She has a few battle scars now. I do too. Guess that's just life.

The weather's getting right for riding here in Eastern Arkansas so I'm anxious to get this all done. Thanks for your advice and ride safe!

• Page: