Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

points/ignition on a 650 20 Feb 2006 08:29 #25085

• incognito0160
  • incognito0160's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Ok guys, I'm trying to set the timing on my 79 650 SR. I've read old posts on how to do it, as well as my manual but it doesn't help. On my backplate I don't have the adjusting plates between it and the points plate. Here's a picture of another members setup that's just like mine.

I have adjusted the points gap to spec, but when at idle my timing is fully advanced. Any Ideas?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

points/ignition on a 650 20 Feb 2006 08:52 #25090

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
I think those extra plates that yours does not have are basically there so you can set each points timing individually. Other guys have the same setup you have and their bikes run ok. How far can you rotate that plate to set the timing? You shouldn't be at full advance at idle, but you know that. Can your advancer be messed up a bit?
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

points/ignition on a 650 20 Feb 2006 09:03 #25093

• incognito0160
  • incognito0160's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I switched over to my old advancer just to make sure of it. The line on the advancer lines up with the high side of the cam. So it's not that, I got the same results.

The plate rotates to the end of each slot, but with it at either end or inbetween it's not set properly (which would be at the "F" mark).

points/ignition on a 650 20 Feb 2006 10:17 #25103

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
In other posts it has been mentioned that the slots can be filed or Dremeled bigger to get to that advance mark. Might be your option.
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

• Page: