Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

No Spark...........? 02 Feb 2006 22:38 #21246

• Badger Den
  • Badger Den's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a 1993 KZ1000 police bike without spark. The bike ran fine last week but its dead this week. The bike cranks over fine and has plenty of fuel, just no spark. I was told it may be the (ignitor - CDI)?? I don't have any power going to either coil. I have checked the connectors and don't think I have a wiring problem>>? This this a common problem on this bike?

I'm having trouble locating a "used" CDI box. The new ones are $392....arghhh

Any thoughts? Thanks, TR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

No Spark...........? 03 Feb 2006 04:39 #21252

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
Get yourself a $1.99 trouble light from the autoparts store and work through wiring diagram starting at the side of the coils that is supposed to be 'hot'. This is the small light with a awl like probe and an alligator clip on the other end. I'd be real surprised if the CDI is bad...even if it is, there are plenty of options that are way better than $400 for an OEM CDI.

-Duck

No Spark...........? 03 Feb 2006 06:02 #21266

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
It is an igniter type ignition and not a CDI. First, quit making assumptions. Start troubleshooting! Make sure there is gas in each bowl by unscrewing the bowl screws and see if gas comes out. If it does, that doesn't mean the carbs are not the problem. It just means you have gas. The carbs can be gunked up and fuel may not be being picked up by the choke circuits or something along those lines but if you have gas, go on to the ignition. First, remove either the #1 or #4 plug and place the electrode right near the engine case. Now turn the bike over with the starter to see if there is spark. If there is, you probably have a tune up issue or lack compression. I would also check with either the 2 or 3 plug. If both have no spark, then check your fuses to ensure none are blown.

At this point, I would buy a multimeter (not a test light). Check for continuity on the fuses rather than using your eyeball as a fuse can be bad without looking blown. Do this by putting the meter on OHMS scale and touching the ends of the fuse with the probes to see if there is coninuity (the element is intact).

If the fuses are good, next check power at your coils. If you put the meter into 20 VDC scale, and put the POS (red) probe on the lug on the coil with the red or yellow red wire and the NEG probe (black one) on the frame and switch the key on, you should have about ~ 12.5 VDC. If you don't have voltage, then you have a simple wiring problem. If you do have voltage, it is time to start troubleshooting the pickup coils (under your point cover) and igniter. Both have specific tests outlined in a factory shop manual. Since these are relatively expensive items, you would be well served to not guess as to what needs replacing. The good news is that both pickup coils and the igniter are used on a zillion Kaw bike models and you can pick up used stuff on eBay reasonably.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

No Spark...........? 03 Feb 2006 08:04 #21282

• Badger Den
  • Badger Den's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for the info guys. I don't have any power at the coils. Does power go from the fuse box to the kill switch / ignition then to the coils??? Does it ever go through the igniter? Thanks for the good info George and Duck.......

Post edited by: badger den, at: 2006/02/03 12:09

• Page: