• Page:

TOPIC:

Possible bad flasher? 25 Jan 2006 17:36 #19879

• savedrider
  • savedrider's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
  • Thank you received: 1
Noticed today that my right signals are not blinking. RF is out completely, RR comes on but does not flash. Both left signals work normally.

Can it still be a bad flasher since the left signals work? I still have the original flasher.

I'm going to check the bulb first, then the connections inside the headlight shell for the RF.
Get right or get left! <*{{{><

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Possible bad flasher? 25 Jan 2006 18:46 #19887

• savedrider
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
Alright nevermind I got it fixed. After pulling things apart and checking the bulbs and connections everything checked out ok.

I ended up swapping bulbs and suddenly the suspect bulb started working fine.

Oh well, I'm happy and no money spent or trips to the parts store. :)

Possible bad flasher? 01 Feb 2006 15:58 #20973

• savedrider
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
Ok, it's acting up again...doing the same thing. My blinkers have been slow from day one. Should I just go ahead and buy a new flasher from the auto parts store?

Possible bad flasher? 01 Feb 2006 19:02 #21006

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 237
They won't blink if even one of your bulbs are bad because the flasher needs the correct load to work. Assuming the bulbs are OK, you can either get a junk one off a junk bike that should work, go to Autozone/Checkers/Wal-Mart ect, and get a Chinese one that you have about 50% chance of working initially and a 80% chance of lasting less than 6 months or go to a decent auto parts place like Napa and get a decent one, or lastly get one from Kawasaki although it would probably be a $75 part.
If you decide on Napa, you can either get a standard flasher that when a bulb goes bad will fail to flash, or you can get a "heavy duty" flasher. These are made for trailer towing and will always flash regardless of load.
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

Possible bad flasher? 01 Feb 2006 22:36 #21070

• GargantuChet
  • User
Ron's right -- I went through the same thing, turned out it was a bulb that had burned out (probably due to my bad reg/rec at the time).

Replace the bulbs first, maybe confirm the wiring. You should find the cause.

If you can't find the problem, go get an HD flasher from the local auto parts. They're pretty much universal fit, and are much more tolerant of varied loads. You'll spend about $12 or less, IIRC. Even if one bulb stops working again, at least you'll have partial function.

Possible bad flasher? 02 Feb 2006 11:59 #21144

• savedrider
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
Alright I got it figured out for certain this time. I checked the bulb that was not coming on at all and the bulb itself was fine. There is a tab on the socket that attaches with a screw inside the blinker assembly and grounds the socket. The tab had broke loose from vibration.

I was able to use a washer under the screw and catch part of the tab that still remained. Hopefully this won't vibrate loose again.

• Page: