Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Dyna S Ignition? 13 Jan 2006 18:01 #17771

• Spud
  • Spud's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I just bought the Dyna S ignition and Dyna coils. I have a 1981 KZ1000LTD. My problem is that the current ignition does not run directly to the coils, the wires run to a box under the battery. Should I run my Dyna S strait to the coils or should I hook it up to that box? Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dyna S Ignition? 13 Jan 2006 20:57 #17804

• arobsum
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10
i believe the dyna s ignition is self contained. run them straight to the dyna coils. don't go thru the original kawasaki ic box. if you put the dyna on, you may not even need the factory ic box on the bike.

Dyna S Ignition? 13 Jan 2006 21:05 #17806

• savedrider
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
  • Thank you received: 1
I think arobsum is correct. You will just need to pick up switched 12v supply somewhere which shouldn't be hard.

I would contact Dyna for tech support if it just doesn't seem right. I've emailed them before and they were pretty friendly and prompt with their replies.

Good luck.
Get right or get left! <*{{{><

Dyna S Ignition? 14 Jan 2006 05:23 #17832

• Jeff.Saunders
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 181
you do bypass the old CDI box totally.

You have green and black sleeves on two of the Dyna wires - these go to the respective green and black coils wires. The third red wire is a power feed - this is just a switched power feed - normally you splice this into the wire that splits to feed each coil (I think it's red/yellow on that bike, but I'm not 100% sure - I don't have the manual in front of me).
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

Dyna S Ignition? 14 Jan 2006 07:11 #17842

• arobsum
  • User
don't use the coil power feed, they still need it. use the power feed that went to the cdi box, since you won't need the cdi box anymore.

Dyna S Ignition? 14 Jan 2006 08:44 #17852

• Spud
  • Spud's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I have two wire on each coil, one has a green and a red, the other has a black and a red. I know what to do with the green and black, its the reds that I am lost on. Are they my power feed? There is a red/yellow that I can see that runs to my run switch, is that the power feed? :unsure: I have pictures but my cable to hook up my camera is missing.

C:\Pictures\KZ1000\Coils.JPG Found it, now lets see if this works.

Post edited by: spud, at: 2006/01/14 11:53

Post edited by: spud, at: 2006/01/14 11:53
Attachments:

Dyna S Ignition? 14 Jan 2006 10:23 #17856

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 238
Right, the red is 12v power, so you splice into one of them. Thay gives you power for your dyna system.
Spud wrote:

I have two wire on each coil, one has a green and a red, the other has a black and a red. I know what to do with the green and black, its the reds that I am lost on. Are they my power feed? There is a red/yellow that I can see that runs to my run switch, is that the power feed? :unsure: I have pictures but my cable to hook up my camera is missing.

C:\Pictures\KZ1000\Coils.JPG Found it, now lets see if this works.

Post edited by: spud, at: 2006/01/14 11:53<br><br>Post edited by: spud, at: 2006/01/14 11:53

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

Dyna S Ignition? 14 Jan 2006 13:52 #17879

• arobsum
  • User
splicing into the coil power wires, will that cause the coil spark to weaken? would'nt it be safer to splice into the old cdi box power feed? not trying to be an a$$...just asking!

Dyna S Ignition? 14 Jan 2006 18:06 #17926

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 238
I don't think so, 12v is 12v. Anywhere readily available is OK. Just for info, I spliced into one of the coil wires back in 1979 on my KZ650 with a Dyna 3 system and it's worked great all these years.
arobsum wrote:

splicing into the coil power wires, will that cause the coil spark to weaken? would'nt it be safer to splice into the old cdi box power feed? not trying to be an a$$...just asking!

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• Page: