Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Tachometer glass, help needed 28 Dec 2005 13:32 #14897

• Wilde
  • Wilde's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi, I have been lurking around for a while and found lots of help from You guys on my bike problems, but now I have a new one: I bought my bike with a broken tach glass. The earlier owner had tried to change it but failed. I managed to split the tach and get a new glass, change it and it looks ok. But the steel ring holding the tach together is beyond all rescue. It was broken from the beginning and now it is completely mischaped. So here is my question, how do I get the tach together without the ring? I am thinking of glueing it together (the tach is ugly anyway and I might buy a new one) but if any of You have solved this in another matter I would be very grateful for any help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Tachometer glass, help needed 28 Dec 2005 14:01 #14903

• donthekawguy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
That ring is a P.I.T.A.! It might be esier to get a new tach off ebay.
Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

Tachometer glass, help needed 28 Dec 2005 14:22 #14906

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 376
If you can get the Tach to stay together with Glue or whatever, you can cover up all the ugliness with Chrome covers. Now the back cover, depending on the year and Model of bike comes in Black or Chrome and should not be affected by you or the previous owner taking apart the Guage. Then you could buy Chrome Ring/Upper covers like I have in the picture below. They have a band that covers over the PITA seem you have to uncrimp when you open the guages. I bought mine from Klassmo in Germany, but other places may sell them in the USA.

Now I see you have the '81 750, which may have the flat style back covers. I'm not sure if the top covers will fit your Guages.

Post edited by: rstnick, at: 2005/12/28 17:24
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

Tachometer glass, help needed 28 Dec 2005 17:15 #14929

• vdrumman
  • User
You might also check with these guys -- they do restoration work on KZ gauges and might be able to fix up your gauge for less than it would cost to replace it.

www.z1enterprises.com/reference/ZResto_custom_work.aspx

Tachometer glass, help needed 29 Dec 2005 01:15 #14975

• Wilde
  • Wilde's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
Thanks guys, I will try Klasmo and see what I can find. I am not that concerned about the looks of the bike, mainly the functionality (a beater bike not a collection item) so I will probably just glue them together.

Tachometer glass, help needed 29 Dec 2005 05:39 #14990

• lifeliberty
  • User
you can pick up used meters cheap, just wait, they come by all the time. you can probably get one for as low as like $10.

Tachometer glass, help needed 29 Dec 2005 09:23 #15033

• wireman
  • Visitor
i did a set of gauges for 77 way back when but i put blue stained glass in them to match the color of the bike ,i also ended up just buying the chrome tops,bottems for them to hide the rings.i spent all that time screwing with them just to find out the glass was too dark to read the gauges,even with the lights on but they sure did look coooooooool!!!!!!!!haha

• Page: