Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Gauge Lights Out, everyting else works. 06 Dec 2005 17:11 #12081

• sakiguy
  • sakiguy's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
All my gauge lights went out on my 79 Kz1000ltd, and of course I only notice them at night when I have a long 2 hour bike ride home. I'm wondering if this is caused by the vibrations - I notice my gauges seem a little loose and seem to shake a little too much...I've tighened all the bolts around there but doesn't seem to help reduce the shaking. Is it natural for my dash to shake or should they be steady? Any how, do I need to open my gauges up(wouldn't know how to) to change the bulbs, or could it be something else. Everything else on the dash works great...just no lights.

Post edited by: sakiguy, at: 2005/12/06 20:12
1983 KZ750 N2 Shaft

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Gauge Lights Out, everyting else works. 06 Dec 2005 17:25 #12085

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
  • Thank you received: 7
sakiguy wrote:

All my gauge lights went out on my 79 Kz1000ltd, and of course I only notice them at night when I have a long 2 hour bike ride home. I'm wondering if this is caused by the vibrations - I notice my gauges seem a little loose and seem to shake a little too much...I've tighened all the bolts around there but doesn't seem to help reduce the shaking. Is it natural for my dash to shake or should they be steady? Any how, do I need to open my gauges up(wouldn't know how to) to change the bulbs, or could it be something else. Everything else on the dash works great...just no lights.<br><br>Post edited by: sakiguy, at: 2005/12/06 20:12

I have the exact same problem. I checked the bulbs a while back by swapping them to the neutral indicator, and they are fine.

Now that the bike is "winterized", I spent a bit of time chasing and labling wires yesterday, now I have to put my battery back in to see where the problem is..

My wiring diagram seems to indicate that the problem must be right up under the gauges, after the 9-pin connector - I have power up to there, because the same line seems to feed other things...
(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

Gauge Lights Out, everyting else works. 06 Dec 2005 17:54 #12087

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
  • Thank you received: 1289
Don't neglect the ground connection. These lights are isolated from the frame by rubber gromets. To get around the gromets there are seperate ground wires that ground the instruments. Often times these wires, hot and ground, get frayed from the flexing caused by turning the front end. I suggest you look at the wires right near the first tie off of the harness for the instrument cluster.
Good luck.
Bill
KZCSI
www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

Gauge Lights Out, everyting else works. 06 Dec 2005 20:08 #12114

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 239
Also there are wire splices built into the wire looms that split off the 12v to power different lights. Very common for these wire splices to break one wire off of them in the wire harnesses so instead of a "T" you have an "I", one leg broken off losing voltage. Possibly the grounds have these splices in the loom also although I've never had trouble with them. Always a loss of 12v for me. You have two choices if this is the case. You can rip the plastic shrouding off your wiring until you find where the wire break is, or simply run a separate wire from a convenient working bulb to your non-working ones, which is the easy way out.
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

Gauge Lights Out, everyting else works. 07 Dec 2005 06:33 #12145

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 376
The guages are rubber mounted, as mentioned above, so they do have some shake to them.

It's not difficult to get at the bulbs and wiring. The backside of the guages have one or two screws, depending on your model, which come off to expose the backside of the Guages. The center consol will have two or three screws on the backside, again to allow you access to the wiring and bulbs.

I had the same problem with my Instrument lights, No workie. My problem showed up once I openned the guages. One of the bulb sockets had broken right off the wires. There was no wire out of the socket to allow me to reattach, but luckily I had a spare wire harness to swap in.
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

Gauge Lights Out, everyting else works. 07 Dec 2005 06:35 #12147

• mariozappa
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
I had the same problem with my B1. I found MEGA corrosion and a busted wire on one of the splices inside the headlight housing.
1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)

Gauge Lights Out, everyting else works. 07 Dec 2005 11:30 #12191

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
sakiguy, Suggest you put your bike year/model in your signature. I know some about some models but little about others and it is hard to give specific advice on models you know nothing about. As far as gauge shake goes, I suggest if you look under your gauges at the "rubber", it is as hard as a rock and cracked and some of it may be missing. I remove all this rubber on my bikes and use strip insulation that has a stickey back to replace it. The gauges stop bouncing once they have some cushioning.

As far as the lights not working, each light is on a different circuit I think so you do well to check the ground. I could be wrong but I think this is true.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Gauge Lights Out, everyting else works. 02 Jan 2006 16:11 #15710

• sakiguy
  • sakiguy's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Got behind the gauges and removed the bulb sockets and swapped them with the working neutral bulb. Bad bulb would not light in the neutral socket, good bulb lit up in both gauge light sockets. Thankfully, it was just a couple of bad bulbs. First time I've changed them out since I had the bike, so I wonder how long these things last? I mean come on, this bike is only 26 years old, give me a break! I wonder if they sell aftermarket led guages for these KZs. I installed some LED gauges on my mustang 5.0 recently. They are a cool blue color and look sweet at night. Wish they had something similar for my kz.
1983 KZ750 N2 Shaft

• Page: