Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Opening hole in tank - advice needed. 08 Sep 2006 11:52 #75303

• Britcheflee
  • Britcheflee's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I have recieved all the parts to change my vacuum petcock over to a manual one - this involves opening the hole where the original petcock filter went to take the round new one - I am a bit leery of doing this so would like some advice about doing this - the tank is empty - was thinking of buying a dremmel bit and using my drill...?

Lee

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Opening hole in tank - advice needed. 08 Sep 2006 12:00 #75305

• chopstar
  • User
I just changed over to a manual petcock with the adapter plate from Z1 Enterprises. I used my Dremel with the drum sander - it took about 5 minutes or so, but it worked like a charm. I finished up by using my shop vac to suck out any debris.

My best advice - follow the instructions included with the adapter plate - do not deviate from them. Take your time and be thorough. Just a note - the 3/8" NPT petcock will only thread in about 4 full turn (with teflon tape on the threads) - any further and you might damage the adapter plate, the petcock, or actually deform the tank.

Good luck.

Opening hole in tank - advice needed. 08 Sep 2006 12:26 #75306

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
Buy a round file, I think it's called a rat tail file? It won't take long to enlarge the hole, it's just a few mm. Just hold up your adapter plate, mark the tank with a pencil and go for it. It won't blow up on you. Rinse it out later, or try sweeping the inside of the tank with a magnetic wand. And then install a fuel filter.
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

Opening hole in tank - advice needed. 08 Sep 2006 23:20 #75404

• Britcheflee
  • Britcheflee's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
Thanks,
I think I am going to use a bit of both - start off with the dremmel tool and then smooth and round any burrs etc with the file...thanks for your feedback.
I purchased a tungsten dremmel bit for metal so hopefully that will do the trick. The magnet idea is very clever - never thought of that.

Lee

Opening hole in tank - advice needed. 09 Sep 2006 07:33 #75440

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
After I installed my adapter plate and petcock, I found a strong round magnet about 1/2 in. diameter, and just plopped it under the tank lip by the petcock. (on the outside of the tank, not inside) You can't see it.

I figured it would grab any small filings or rust particles that were loose. I suppose you could drop one inside the tank and somehow use a stick to maneuver it near the petcock too.
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

• Page: